The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Stress at a young age..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Especially depending on the lifestyle of the specific person. For example, I have to have one because of my son.

    Some people need them because they are always on the go.

    Plus, it is ideal for emergencies. I can't imagine if something happened to me or my family and I couldn't call for help.

    Like everything else, it's mostly a matter of opinion.
    I just can't picture a convincing argument where a $120/month cell phone is a need.

    I can somewhat accept the premise of having some kind of cell phone as a need, especially if one drives long distances or through rural areas where it may be the most reliable way to get help.

    But even in that case, a pre-paid phone used for emergencies only (an emergency being defined as a call to a tow truck or 911, not "where are you" to a friend) should cost less for a whole year than this person is paying in a month.

    In this particular case, their current cell phone is most definitely a luxury.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pearlieq View Post
      I just can't picture a convincing argument where a $120/month cell phone is a need.

      I can somewhat accept the premise of having some kind of cell phone as a need, especially if one drives long distances or through rural areas where it may be the most reliable way to get help.

      But even in that case, a pre-paid phone used for emergencies only (an emergency being defined as a call to a tow truck or 911, not "where are you" to a friend) should cost less for a whole year than this person is paying in a month.

      In this particular case, their current cell phone is most definitely a luxury.

      That doesn't mean the person should get rid of it all together like Steve said. Maybe just downgrade the plan. In today's world it's almost necessary. Obviously if you're dirt poor then it's not possible but even I have one and we are far from well off.

      Any means of communication is a must have. Not a luxury.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
        That doesn't mean the person should get rid of it all together like Steve said.
        In this case, I think it does. When one is 20 years old, 10k in debt, hasn't paid their current tuition, and has a cell phone plan that eats up a full 25% of their pay, the phone needs to go.

        Trying to justify that kind of spending is what keeps someone poor, instead of getting them turned around into a better situation.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by pearlieq View Post
          In this case, I think it does. When one is 20 years old, 10k in debt, hasn't paid their current tuition, and has a cell phone plan that eats up a full 25% of their pay, the phone needs to go.

          Trying to justify that kind of spending is what keeps someone poor, instead of getting them turned around into a better situation.
          That's why I said that in this specific situation, they should downgrade their plan. There are many basic plans that maybe eat up 10 dollars a month or so.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jIM_Ohio View Post
            5) Take professional training if you can find the time and interest. For example if you are business major, consider taking a tax course to work for a company like HR block. it will cost you around $200 to take the course, but you should be able to earn $5000-$10000 during tax season, and also get industry experience.
            Jim - when are tax courses usually offered? I'm on board with this for next year, as I realize its too late for this year.

            Comment


            • #21
              Slightly off topic but could you tell me how many times in the past 4 months you needed your cell phone to cope with an emergency? Were no other phones available? I'm not a Luddite but those who cannot afford it can manage without cell phones & text messages!

              Comment


              • #22
                Try to get more hours at your current job and get a second job. If you can't get more hours, get a second and third job. It is not forever, it is just untiol you get your head above water.

                Comment

                Working...
                X