The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

How much do you pay to prepare your taxes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    One year I foolishly was conned into paying close to $150 to get my taxes next day. The return was considerable, but it sill was a mistake on my part. Last year I paid around $50 for my taxes. Next year I plan on doing it myself or through turbo tax, I've heard nothing but good things about that program.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Pitman View Post
      One year I foolishly was conned into paying close to $150 to get my taxes next day. The return was considerable, but it sill was a mistake on my part.
      Just to be clear, Jim is asking about the cost to have the tax return prepared, not any fee paid to obtain a refund loan, which I believe is what you are referring to. As you learned, those are a huge rip-off. With electronic filing, it only takes 2 weeks to get your refund anyway. Paying 150% or more interest on a loan just to have your money instantly is so not worth it.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


      • #18
        I put 50, but really it was less than that, for both federal and state, and it was the fee for them to do the mailing and have it direct deposited...We could have printed them out and mailed it in for the price of a stamp...but I know myself, it would ave sat till the last minute.

        Comment


        • #19
          I go a place that they do it for free for us po' folks

          Comment


          • #20
            I used to go to H&R but my taxes were more complicated then. I remember paying in the $500 range but I think it was based on what they saved you or any return or something. Anyway, I figured out how to do it myself and saved on the fee but may have lost out a little on the deductions. I'm still ahead.
            "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

            Comment


            • #21
              Meant to mention that I now do H&R "tax cut". About 25 bucks I think.
              "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

              Comment


              • #22

                I use TaxCut software and the RIA Federal Tax Handbook.


                Comment


                • #23
                  0.

                  I do 'em myself.
                  Brian

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Whatever TaxCut and the filing fee add up to.
                    seek knowledge, not answers
                    personal finance

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Good to know of the 42 people responding, they all pay their taxes.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        There was some nut on the radio a few years ago talking about how it was not a requirement to pay income taxes. I believe he's in prison now.
                        "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          $0.

                          I do my taxes myself and have my dad check them. My tax return is really simple so there is no need to have someone else do it. In the future, if my tax return gets more complicated, I probably would pay someone to do it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I do mine online at irs.gov for free.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X