The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Don't let me spend!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Don't let me spend!

    Hi Friends,

    It has been a while since I paid you all a visit. I hope all is well and you're finances are flourishing!

    Please talk me off the ledge here - I want to go shopping for some new clothes for work. I've lost weight and really need an emotional boost. Problem is that I am still in my debt pay down plan and have 4 years left. I can either charge (yes, charge?*#) or pay cash. Either way I need someone here to kick me the ass and keep me focused!!!!

    Thanks!

  • #2
    I give you permission to not spend money.

    Comment


    • #3
      Turn around, now where are my pointy toe boots????

      Really, what is the deal? Is every single dime you have going to debt reduction so there is no money you can allocate for the clothing you'll need at your new reduced size? If every penny is already spoken for, can you get some outside work or sell some of your old clothes on ebay or find someway to gather together some income to buy yourself some better fitting clothes? Can you find clothes to fit inexpensively at a thrift store?

      Pay cash!

      Comment


      • #4
        Whatever you do, pay cash. As stated above, thrift shop, you will feel so much better and will not feel you have fell off the wagon. If need, borrow from a realitive or friend starting out. PLLLLLLLLeaassee do not use credit. If you do, I will hunt you down, it won't be pretty.

        Comment


        • #5
          Cash for sure.
          Congrats on the weight-loss. Prolly best to buy the clothes, would hate for you to get a hefty fine should your clothes start falling off of you in public!

          Comment


          • #6
            I cut up all my Credit Cards, so I can't use them even if I wanted to, I suggest you do the same thing. Congrats on the wieght loss, but if you truly need to buy clothes since your existing clothes are too big, or baggy, find a thrift shop in your area, and shop there. You'll be surprised with the things you might find.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you have clothes in your closet that you like and are too big then I would suggest taking them to a tailor and see if they can altar them for you. It is less money then buying new clothes, especially if you plan to lose more weight.

              Comment


              • #8
                Losing weight... that's a good thing isn't it? A far better emotional boost than any dress?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by debtfreecb View Post
                  I want to go shopping for some new clothes for work
                  Buying new work clothes per se isn't necessarily a bad thing, and could be a good thing for your career.

                  Originally posted by debtfreecb View Post
                  I've lost weight and really need an emotional boost
                  Good for you on the first part. I'm not sure on the second part.


                  Originally posted by debtfreecb View Post
                  Problem is that I am still in my debt pay down plan and have 4 years left. I can either charge (yes, charge?*#) or pay cash. Either way I need someone here to kick me the ass and keep me focused!!!!
                  I would say buy new clothes if you honestly think that it will help your career. Looking good is part of being successful.

                  But if you think that you're just overindulging, then there's no purpose and you shouldn't be doing it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is there any one in your family, social or church network that you could trade clothes with?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Congrats on the weight loss! My suggestion would be to buy a few basic mix and match separates that you can wear with a lot of other things. For example, one pair of brown pants and one pair of black pants, then a few shirts that can go with either bottom. You can get a lot of mileage out of your clothing that way!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Borrow, borrow, borrow! You must know someone who is or was your new size, and who has some pieces you can borrow for a while. And shop used. Also, there's always the chance that you'll lose even more weight, meaning that you would then have to go out and spend more money on more clothes. Wait until you're sure you're at your new 'set weight' before investing in anything new.

                        Congratulatins and keep up the good work!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think you should buy the new clothes - and make sure to get rid of all the big stuff. It gives you incentive to keep the weight off. I lost weight (about 30 pounds or so) a few years ago and bought mostly all new clothes (not a huge wardrobe - just enough). You can build on it over time.

                          As a woman, I feel that it is important to look good, not only for your job, but also for your self-esteem. Don't go crazy with the spending, but you do need to wear properly fitting clothes - and you deserve to look nice after losing all that weight!

                          PS - Sometimes you can find really nice stuff at consignment shops - but you have to go pretty frequently as the good stuff goes fast.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            go and get some new clothes, but do NOT charge it. Find somewhere that wont charge you an arm and a leg and pay cash. That way you will only buy what you can afford

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X