Hello-
I just recently starting visiting this site and think it is awesome. I am looking for advice on savings, investing, and some other stuff. I started making great money in 2005, but I lost a lot of money in a business I started (savings + 2005 salary), that business is now closed and debts cleared up. Also previous to 2005 I was making 80% less than I am now. Here is how my current situation looks:
Investments:
-Ameritrade account: $17,000 (self)
-Ameritrade account: $9,500(wife)
-Roth IRA $3,700 (wife)
-410k: $11,700 (wife)
Debt:
-Sears Credit Card: $2,500 (self) 0% interest Paying $500/month
-Car Payment: $6,000 (wife) 4.4% interest Paying $310/month
-Student Loans: $60,000 (wife) currently deferred for next 4 years
-Future Student Loans: additional $50,000 (wife) over next 4 years for her doctorate
Savings:
-Savings Account: $300 (wife)
-Savings Account: $1,000 (self)
Income:
-Self: Gross $70,000(salary) + $50,000(overtime) + $10,000(call pay). My overtime is steady month to month, so I figure my monthly gross at 10,800. After the tax man visits it looks more like $7,560/month.
-Wife: Gross $23,400(salary), $1,600/month after taxes.
Home:
-Currently Renting
Car:
-2006 Chevy Aveo (self) owned
-2007 Toyota Matrix (wife) car loan
Monthly Budget:
Rent: $950
Cell Phones: $160 (work reimburses 100%)
Vonage: $70 (work reimburses 50%)
Food: $500
Natural Gas: $40
Electric: $120
Car Insurance: $70 (self)
Car Insurance: $60 (wife)
Netflix: $18
Gym: $50
Dish Network: $50
Gas: $600
Internet: $40
Sears Credit Card: $500
Toyota Matrix: $310
Total: $3,343
I have a 401k plan through work that matches 6%, but currently I don't participate. My wife recently changed jobs and her employer does not offer a 401k plan. My wife's income should increase approximately $10,000 in 2008. My income will increase $10,000 + 4% of base salary for 2008, after which I am only eligible for a 4%/year raise.
Currently, I have no college education (err well 6 credits). My employer will pay 100% of tuition cost for schooling up to a BA. They will reimburse 50% of master or doctorate if in a related field. Problem for me is that I am only able to attend night classes due to the time restrictions of my job. This means max class load I can take is 2 classes per semester (so 3 years from now I will only have my AA), and would result in about $1000/month reduction in overtime earnings.
Having college paid for is a great deal, but when time line is taken into account vs. loss of income ... does it make sense? Should we pay off her loans, before they are due or invest?
I looking for advice on how we could save better, or invest better ... or just any advice you could give.
Thanks
I just recently starting visiting this site and think it is awesome. I am looking for advice on savings, investing, and some other stuff. I started making great money in 2005, but I lost a lot of money in a business I started (savings + 2005 salary), that business is now closed and debts cleared up. Also previous to 2005 I was making 80% less than I am now. Here is how my current situation looks:
Investments:
-Ameritrade account: $17,000 (self)
-Ameritrade account: $9,500(wife)
-Roth IRA $3,700 (wife)
-410k: $11,700 (wife)
Debt:
-Sears Credit Card: $2,500 (self) 0% interest Paying $500/month
-Car Payment: $6,000 (wife) 4.4% interest Paying $310/month
-Student Loans: $60,000 (wife) currently deferred for next 4 years
-Future Student Loans: additional $50,000 (wife) over next 4 years for her doctorate
Savings:
-Savings Account: $300 (wife)
-Savings Account: $1,000 (self)
Income:
-Self: Gross $70,000(salary) + $50,000(overtime) + $10,000(call pay). My overtime is steady month to month, so I figure my monthly gross at 10,800. After the tax man visits it looks more like $7,560/month.
-Wife: Gross $23,400(salary), $1,600/month after taxes.
Home:
-Currently Renting
Car:
-2006 Chevy Aveo (self) owned
-2007 Toyota Matrix (wife) car loan
Monthly Budget:
Rent: $950
Cell Phones: $160 (work reimburses 100%)
Vonage: $70 (work reimburses 50%)
Food: $500
Natural Gas: $40
Electric: $120
Car Insurance: $70 (self)
Car Insurance: $60 (wife)
Netflix: $18
Gym: $50
Dish Network: $50
Gas: $600
Internet: $40
Sears Credit Card: $500
Toyota Matrix: $310
Total: $3,343
I have a 401k plan through work that matches 6%, but currently I don't participate. My wife recently changed jobs and her employer does not offer a 401k plan. My wife's income should increase approximately $10,000 in 2008. My income will increase $10,000 + 4% of base salary for 2008, after which I am only eligible for a 4%/year raise.
Currently, I have no college education (err well 6 credits). My employer will pay 100% of tuition cost for schooling up to a BA. They will reimburse 50% of master or doctorate if in a related field. Problem for me is that I am only able to attend night classes due to the time restrictions of my job. This means max class load I can take is 2 classes per semester (so 3 years from now I will only have my AA), and would result in about $1000/month reduction in overtime earnings.
Having college paid for is a great deal, but when time line is taken into account vs. loss of income ... does it make sense? Should we pay off her loans, before they are due or invest?
I looking for advice on how we could save better, or invest better ... or just any advice you could give.
Thanks

Just a some random thoughts:
But in the end, it's for your overall benefit.)
Like others, I'm also curious what you do to earn such a great salary and without any education. You're not a starting mob, are you? Just kidding
.
though these days saving accounts don't offer good interest, still do it. Still better than under a mattress). You're going to pay for your wife's education in cash, you said, so start saving little by little now.
Comment