Hello-
This is my first post on this forum. I recently graduated college with a BA, and am in my firt year of work at a software development firm. I am always stressing about money (who isn't). I would like to list my current financial situation, and see if anyone has any advice to areas I can trim, invest more, etc.
Investments:
-401K- I invest 6% of each check (max matched by emplyer)
-Roth IRA - I just opened this, $100/month auto withdrawn for now.
-Stock Purchase Plan- Given company stock at 15% strike price, I devote 5% of each check to this.
Debt:
Installment: $3,100 of student/personal loan debt.
Credit Card Debt: $200.00 (I pay all balances in full).
Savings: I have $5k in an HSBC online savings at 4.75% that I keep for an emergency fund.
Income: Pre-taxed: av. 56-60k annual. I work in sales so this varies, my base salary gross is $2,750/month. Comm. usually doubles or triples that, depending on how well I do, although I also have a month or two where I make very little.
I rent. No home ownership yet. My car is cheap, only $2,800 in value, which I will be selling. once sold, I will take out appx: 15k loan and buy a 2002-2003 car and run it into the ground. I hate debt, but I need a car and have a decent commute.
My monthy budget is this:
Rent: $850
Utilities: $100
Phone/Blackberry: $123.00
Loan: $135
Food: $360
Car Insurance: $110.00
Roth: $100.00
Netflix: $15.00
Gym: $40.00
Total: $1,833.00
If comm is Good, my post tax is 3500ish, if bad, is around 2400.
Basically, I want to know if I am off to a good start in "the real world." Should I invest more? Should I not take out an auto loan? Am I making enough money for a guy my age? Saving enough? Just looking to ease the worries.
Thanks.
Regards,
-Mike
This is my first post on this forum. I recently graduated college with a BA, and am in my firt year of work at a software development firm. I am always stressing about money (who isn't). I would like to list my current financial situation, and see if anyone has any advice to areas I can trim, invest more, etc.
Investments:
-401K- I invest 6% of each check (max matched by emplyer)
-Roth IRA - I just opened this, $100/month auto withdrawn for now.
-Stock Purchase Plan- Given company stock at 15% strike price, I devote 5% of each check to this.
Debt:
Installment: $3,100 of student/personal loan debt.
Credit Card Debt: $200.00 (I pay all balances in full).
Savings: I have $5k in an HSBC online savings at 4.75% that I keep for an emergency fund.
Income: Pre-taxed: av. 56-60k annual. I work in sales so this varies, my base salary gross is $2,750/month. Comm. usually doubles or triples that, depending on how well I do, although I also have a month or two where I make very little.
I rent. No home ownership yet. My car is cheap, only $2,800 in value, which I will be selling. once sold, I will take out appx: 15k loan and buy a 2002-2003 car and run it into the ground. I hate debt, but I need a car and have a decent commute.
My monthy budget is this:
Rent: $850
Utilities: $100
Phone/Blackberry: $123.00
Loan: $135
Food: $360
Car Insurance: $110.00
Roth: $100.00
Netflix: $15.00
Gym: $40.00
Total: $1,833.00
If comm is Good, my post tax is 3500ish, if bad, is around 2400.
Basically, I want to know if I am off to a good start in "the real world." Should I invest more? Should I not take out an auto loan? Am I making enough money for a guy my age? Saving enough? Just looking to ease the worries.
Thanks.
Regards,
-Mike

I wouldn't slack off, but I would certainly breathe normal and give yourself a pat on the back. You're doing just fine.
..i think you're doing great! you can probably look forward to a nice dip in car insurance rates when you hit 25 too. I would suggest increasing your roth as well. i would also suggest to buy a car strait out if you can - or at least dont go for a 15k car if all you want is a decent commute. last year my husband (who's also 24) got a new 2006 chevy aveo 4 door sedan for his 30 minute commute each day. its cute, gets about 40 mpg and our loan was only $9200 after a 2k cash downpayment. we'll have that loan paid off within the next year..hopefully sooner.. - and the car makes for an awesome sporty commute.
Comment