Spending Money And Quiting Jobs For The Rapture May 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending Money And Quiting Jobs For The Rapture May 21

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds...

Is The End Nigh? We'll Know Soon Enough : NPR

These people give the rest of us sane Christians a bad name.

But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard, keep awake.a For you do not know when the time will come. 34It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servantsb in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake. 35Therefore stay awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows,c or in the morning— 36lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. 37And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.”
    -Mark 13:32-37

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.
    -1 Thes 3:10
    These verses are pretty common knowledge to anyone who's attended church regularly... could have saved those families a lot of heartache.

Part of me thinks it's funny that his sign says 'The Bible Guarantees it!' - and that day has passed...

But another larger part of me breaks when I hear the girl who was going to med school but dropped out because of this guy. How sad for them.

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

Just for anyone who's concerned that maybe they were onto something... this is twice now that he's predicted the end of the world and been wrong:

When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
    -Deuteronomy 18:22

Comment

I was going to say - this guy is a local guy and a piece of work. So, I Was kind of surprised to read that people across the country were listening to this crap. REALLY? I just thought it was a regional thing (billboards and signs on cars, everywhere!)

The article I read was basically that the logic for the date of May 21 was a pretty big leap of logic. I will see if I can find the article I Was reading. To say the bible guarantees it is:

Comment

"According to a Jan. 1, 2010 San Francisco Chronicle article, Camping determined the number five represented "atonement," the number ten represented "completeness" and the number 17 represented "heaven." He then took the number of years between Christ's crucifixion and April 1 of this year (1,978) and multiplied it by the number of days in a solar - as opposed to calendar - year (365.2422). Next, he took the number of days between April 1 and May 21 (51) and added that to the product of his previous multiplication. When he rounded the sum of that addition to the nearest whole number he got 722,500. This sum was the same as the product of (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) - which, in his method of numerology, is equivalent to the square of (atonement x completeness x heaven)."

Here you go.

See - guaranteed!

Comment

Well, I'm glad he rounded to the nearest whole number, after making sure he didn't round on the number of days in a year. You do, after all, have to be consistent with such important matters as these.

Hmmm... seems like a solid mathematical proof. Maybe God's iPhone alert didn't go off that day??

Guess he'll let us know when God reschedules His arrival.

Probably on May 10, 2017. Or October 5, 2017 - each is pretty likely from what I hear.

Comment

LOL... a friend of ours ran into some "corner preachers" like this guy, saying basically the same thing. He asked them "So, you guarantee that May 21 is the day? If I sell all of my stuff, and it turns out that the rapture doesn't happen, are you going to buy me new stuff?"

Comment

Amazing. I'd say I hope it works out for them, but I really don't lol

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMama View Post
                "According to a Jan. 1, 2010 San Francisco Chronicle article, Camping determined the number five represented "atonement," the number ten represented "completeness" and the number 17 represented "heaven." He then took the number of years between Christ's crucifixion and April 1 of this year (1,978) and multiplied it by the number of days in a solar - as opposed to calendar - year (365.2422). Next, he took the number of days between April 1 and May 21 (51) and added that to the product of his previous multiplication. When he rounded the sum of that addition to the nearest whole number he got 722,500. This sum was the same as the product of (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) - which, in his method of numerology, is equivalent to the square of (atonement x completeness x heaven)."

Here you go.

See - guaranteed!
                My impression is that he thinks God is the "Riddler" and he's Batman and has solved the tricky little puzzle that's been set up. How do these people get an audience. Did we learn nothing from the Kool-Aid drinkers of Jim Jones....apparently not.
                "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

A week from today!

Comment

Originally posted by GREENBACK View Post
                    My impression is that he thinks God is the "Riddler" and he's Batman and has solved the tricky little puzzle that's been set up.
                    LOL!!

Comment

You guys still here????

I am!

Guess we'll have to wait a few years for Mr. Camping to find another error in his calculations...

Comment

A couple of us were talking about this nonsense and wondering if we are going to see a spike in the suicide rate among those who sold everything or maxed out their credit cards and quit their jobs in anticipation of something that wasn't ever really going to happen.
                        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          A couple of us were talking about this nonsense and wondering if we are going to see a spike in the suicide rate among those who sold everything or maxed out their credit cards and quit their jobs in anticipation of something that wasn't ever really going to happen.
                          I was wondering the same thing. There are several people feeling pretty stupid today I'm sure. I heard a guy that's part of Camping's group talking on a radio show. He sounded like a very reasonble person except for his belief in this. I can't figure
                          "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

That's pretty sad. So I wonder if anyone will continue listening to his predictions?

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiJo09 View Post
                              That's pretty sad. So I wonder if anyone will continue listening to his predictions?
                              They have before and they will again.

Comment

Working...
                              X