10 Reasons to Start Your Own Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Reasons to Start Your Own Business

There must be some reason why some 600,000 new businesses are founded each year, right? Well, based on an informal survey conducted by Inc.com, there are plenty of good reasons to run your own small business. Nearly 500 (462 to be exact) small business owners responded to the survey in which they were asked to name some of the reasons why they prefer to own their own small business as opposed to working as an employee for a larger company.

Top 10 Reasons to Run Your Own Business

good one.

Comment

I agree. Starting your business is the only reliable way to make money on your own in this economy...

Comment

Many older people who where laid off in the recent corporate down-sizings have had a hard time finding an equitable position at a new company. They are taking their skill-set and starting new businesses.

Comment

Starting your own business in this economy is tough to say the least. Make sure you have a good advertising strategy if you are thinking about it

Comment

Starting a business involves planning, making key financial decisions and completing a series of legal activities. Nice good job...

Comment

Its a well known fact... 80% of all businesses fail. But the drive to own a business will always be there. Many have find their way into online business including internet affiliate marketing. The competition is tremendous but the entry cost is low.... if you end up among the 80% that fail at least it did not involve significant capital outlay.

Comment

Just for a balancing reality check: Top 10 Reasons Small Businesses Fail - NYTimes.com

I realize this thread is months old, but worth considering the down-side.

Comment

I own my own business, but enjoy the freedom of working alone. I'd take less money for that freedom too. Other people would rather have security, which is why they enjoy working for somebody else. To each his own.

Comment

I run my own pet care company and am currently setting up a web design company. Both are low start-up, low overhead home-based business that can be run by one person with self-taught skills (obviously the web design being more advanced.

One of my biggest reasons for wanting to run my own business was the sales pitch/interview I went through with Aflac. I thought I was being interviewed, but quickly realized I was sitting in my first recruitment sales pitch. They described the benefits of being your own boss, being able to leave if needed for family needs, take off time if needed when needed, etc. However, if the right corporate job came along I would give up the small business for the stability of a large business.

I think it is also a personality issue. The right people can run a business, many others simply cannot no matter what the plan, investment, etc. Then there are the small business owners you can't believe are actually still in business. I have worked for at least a couple that I can't understand how they are still getting the bills paid.

Comment

After working for a corporation, dedicating my life and seeing NOTHING from it, I decided to start working on my own business. It's HARD but all the efforts benefit me and my family...not the businessmen on top!

Comment

Working...
                      X