The higher price of wine makes it taste better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The higher price of wine makes it taste better

One of these researchers is Robin Goldstein, whose paper detailing more than 6,000 blind tastings reaches the conclusion that “individuals who are unaware of the price do not derive more enjoyment from more expensive wine.”

Freakonomics Radio: Do More Expensive Wines Taste Better? - NYTimes.com

I've seen numerous tests regarding wine and they all come to the same conclusion. People attribute better taste to more costly wine. In blind taste tests when they don't know what they are drinking, the cheaper wines do just as well, if not better, than the more costly wines. In one test I saw, blindfolded wine experts couldn't even consistently distinguish red wine from white wine. It is all hype and marketing and snobbery. Buy the cheapest stuff you can find that you like the taste of.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I've seen the same reports on TV and believe them. You should be able to pick up a decent bottle of wine for $10. We go to a liquor store that gets the overages from other stores and have picked up some fantastic wines for $3.99.

Comment

My mom wanted to get a bottle of wine as a gift but knows nothing about wine, so we went to the liquor store the other day. My wife and I picked out a bottle that was $9.49. My mom thought that was too cheap because she wanted to spend more on the gift but we explained to her just this subject. More expensive doesn't mean better. It just means more expensive. So she will give him the bottle of wine and a gift card to go with it.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

There have been other studies done on Vodka and probably other spirits that reach about the same conclusions. Probably be another one soon with New Years Eve approaching. Buy cheap and put it in an expensive bottle and see if their are any critics that catch it at your party.
          "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Originally posted by GREENBACK View Post
            There have been other studies done on Vodka and probably other spirits that reach about the same conclusions. Probably be another one soon with New Years Eve approaching. Buy cheap and put it in an expensive bottle and see if their are any critics that catch it at your party.
            Sorry. I have to disagree with this one, and I've seen studies that say the same. Premium ultra-filtered vodkas taste better. I saw one study where they used a Brita filter to further filter cheap brands and after the Brita, they scored better in blind taste tests than before the Brita. It may not be something everyone will notice, and you may only notice it when drinking the vodka straight, but many people, myself included, can definitely tell the difference.

That said, the most expensive brand isn't necessarily the best on a personal level. I happen to not care for Grey Goose. I much prefer Skyy. A bottle of Grey Goose is about $30 around here. A bottle of Skyy is about $15.

I think that once you reach a certain level of quality, the differences between brands become much smaller relative to the price differences. There is a huge difference between Fleishmann's and Skyy but a much smaller difference between Skyy and Grey Goose. At that point, personal preference comes into play a lot more.
            Steve

Comment

I also think that once you start mixing coctails with Vodka; it almost doesn't matter to the average person. Making a dry martini would make a difference in the taste.

Disney Steve: There are those people who are snobs about wine and do look at the label. It's like drinking Sterling and all the different types of Sterling and prices. I know someone who spends about $25. on Sterling. I've actually had family members that will not let certain members of the family bring wine because they say the people don't know how to buy wine. So, they will ask them to bring along another food item instead. I'm always content with whatever others bring to my home.

Comment

My first lesson in this subject was on a birthday. My family took me out to a high-end restaurant and we were drinking this fantastic Pinot Grigio at the bar waiting for the table. About $7-8 a glass. I was determined to find it and when I finally did in a wine shop. It cost $7 for the bottle!

Second lesson was when my step father retired. His company gives each retiring person (of a certain "rank" in the company) a ridiculous amount of money (four figures) to host a retirement lunch. He's frugal man but since this was use-it-or-lose-it money he bought a pretty expensive bottle of wine at the restaurant (three digits). Honestly, I've drank a lot of wine in my life (although not a connoisseur) and I couldn't tell the difference.

Third point: I fancy myself a tequila connoisseur (I drink it on the rocks, never shots). Marketing plays so much into the perceived taste and cost of tequila. The more popular brands are mass produced and poorly aged. You can get an excellent bottle of tequila for $20 but the well-marketed brands, for the same volume cost 2x-3x as much.

As a frugal drinker, drinking an expensive beverage doesn't get me excited as much as paying little for a fantastic tasting wine or liquor.

Comment

Liquor prices in restaurants are insane. We hardly ever buy drinks when we go out to eat for that reason. Even a cheap wine like Beringer will be $6/glass. We can get it for under $5/bottle in our local stores. And $10 or $12 for a martini made with maybe $2 worth of alcohol. I'll take some tap water, thank you, then go home and have an after-dinner drink.
                  Steve

Comment

DS: Beringer White Zinfandel is a favorite among women. It does taste differently than most zinfandel's. I agree with you about the prices of drinks at restaurants. They are totally outrageous. We do the same. Will come home and have an after-dinner drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleta View Post
                      I also think that once you start mixing coctails with Vodka; it almost doesn't matter to the average person. Making a dry martini would make a difference in the taste.
                      Generally true. In mixed drinks, I think the quality of the mixers can be even more important than the quality of the vodka. You can foul up even a simple screwdriver by using crappy OJ no matter how good the vodka may be.
                      Steve

Comment

The wine fans on the boards may enjoy this:
                        The Wine Trials

Click on "latest winners" and you'll see many wines under $10, some as low as $5

Comment

scfr's $5 wine is 3 liters! It comes in a box. I'm going to look for it.
                          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

My friends and I had a wine tasting party one time. A different friend of mine had made me 30 bottles of wine for $90, so $3 a bottle (he wanted the carboy and other stuff that comes with a kit, so I bought the kit, he did the work and kept the kit, and I got 30 $3 bottles wine that tastes AWESOME). I brought that to the party, and didn't tell them that it was homemade. They ranked it right behind a $20 bottle and a $17 bottle, and above all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                              scfr's $5 wine is 3 liters! It comes in a box. I'm going to look for it.
                              Ah, Joan ... I think I know the wine you are referring to. Unfortunately, it looks like the authors listed the "750-ml bottle equivalent" price. I have enjoyed this particular wine, and the regular price is around $20 for a 3-liter box. It can be found on sale in my area for around $18. Hopefully you haven't wasted any time hunting for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X