Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this woman get a job in your office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this woman get a job in your office?

Office dress codes are loosening, but where do the boundaries lie? Rebecca Knowles-Dixon, 24, is at the edge of what constitutes acceptable work wear. Could she work in your office?

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Could this woman get a job in your office?

Rebecca should send her resume' to Google I guess it does depend on where you work or apply to work. Most buisnesses dealing face to face with the public are going to have tighter standards though I hear tattoos, earrings, etc. are better tolerated nowadays. Generational thing I guess.
    "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

I work at a major pharmaceutical research facility, where most people are straight-laced, if not... pasty. However, there is one particular scientist who almost looks like a dead-ringer for that woman in the photo.

Seriously, she has tattoos on her chest, almost like a tribal crest that covers above her bosom, and runs up to her neck. And she has piercings everywhere, including the nose, bridge of the nose, and stretched-out earlobes. She also has piercings on her back that she likes to "hang from". But she removes most of that for work, except maybe a nose ring.

I tell you, on the first impression, and the second, it would make anyone stop and wonder. However, once you get to know her, you realize that she's actually a very nice person, a capable scientist, and perhaps because of her own personal experiences of being judged by her outer appearance, is extremely tolerant and understanding of others.

I like her a lot. She's a positive influence in the work environment, and in a good way, challenges the conventional, corporate thinking. I'm glad that she is not discriminated by her looks. (But again, this is a research environment, where looks doesn't matter too much.)

Comment

She's pushing the border, but I'd call what she wears acceptable these days. It really doesn't hurt that she's fairly attractive.

Comment

That wouldn't fly in my office. Unless she was of course my boss who fails to wear a bra most days and stores her breast milk in the community refrigerator *puke*. But God forbid someone else wears what she would deem a "t shirt."

Comment

so she stores her breast milk next to some milk you got from a creature that chews it's cud, and has boobs so braless they drag on the ground?

As to the woman, other than the hair, she is fairly normal by todays standards. And I would take dreads over flip flops any day! (safety thing IMO)

Comment

First of all, I don't drink milk. And if I did I suppose that her open container of breast milk would be sitting next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by akrogers View Post
                stores her breast milk in the community refrigerator *puke*.

Not to go off subject, but what possible reason would anyone do this. I presume that if you're lactating you should have plenty of warm "baby milk" readily available
                "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

I was just commenting on the fact that what is acceptable for some in the work place isn't acceptable for others. Both in terms of dress and behavior. I think that she has to pump, which I completely respect, but I have a boundary issue with keeping it in the fridge (open, and yes, it has spilled before).

Comment

As to the question at hand - um no, wouldn't be hired here. Really wouldn't be hired for more minimum wage jobs either (Strictest stress codes I have seen - minimum wage jobs). I think the tattoos and piercings are coverable, but the hair would be the deal breaker at my office. No personal judement, but people want to entrust their finances with boring looking people. It doesn't matter what we think anyway - our clients set the tone.

I used to teach piano - she'd certainly fly as a music teacher (the weirder looking the better? Sign of creativity? Maybe not for the little kids. Depends who you are teaching).

------

As to pumping milk (BTDT)- may have no other safe option but fridge. Of course, if I Was worried about safety I'd put a lid on it, and polite people would be more discreet! So that's, er, interesting?

Comment

Where else is she supposed to keep it? I believe that employers have to provide a place for pumping and storage, by law. It's just milk, especially if it is covered. Would you be uncomfortable with someone keeping their yogurt in the fridge? How about goat milk? Just curious.

Comment

haha SURE! If she wanted one, she could probably get a job with my 'company' no problem! Just talk to the local recruiter and they'll set her right up! Yea, they may or may not mention the details of how her grooming and wardrobe may change once she got to basic training, but she'd figure it out pretty quick. In any case, the only way she would leave the job is if she quit. Sooooo..... the ball's in your court, madam....
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Geojen, if you would read, the post you would see that I specifically stated that it was uncovered and had spilled in the fridge previously.

I am about to leave the forums for this reason, but I am very surprised at how many posters here clearly don't take the time to read previous posts or understand another poster's point before jumping in, all the while being completely self-righteous. This isn't directed at any one person in particular, but it is a definite pattern I have been noticing while reading the boards. Never before seen this on any of the other forums I have been on.
                          Last edited by akrogers; 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akrogers View Post
                            I think that she has to pump, which I completely respect, but I have a boundary issue with keeping it in the fridge (open, and yes, it has spilled before).
                            I would nicely point out that leaving it open poses a contamination risk to the baby. Nothing at all wrong with keeping breast milk in the fridge. In fact, that's exactly where it should be, but it should also be in a clean, sealed container.
                            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                              I would nicely point out that leaving it open poses a contamination risk to the baby. Nothing at all wrong with keeping breast milk in the fridge. In fact, that's exactly where it should be, but it should also be in a clean, sealed container.
                              Sorry missed the part about open, open is not safe for baby, fridge yes, open no.

Comment

Working...
                              X