Advice Needed--Large Cap Mutual Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed--Large Cap Mutual Fund

We are trying to allocate funds in a new IRA at Fidelity and so far we have picked an S&P mutual fund just to have it doing something, but I'd like to put some of it into a Large Cap fund and some in an International fund and some in a Small Cap fund. The huge lists they have given us are overwhelming. I guess I am looking for a place to start with funds that have historically performed at or above the level of the S&P over time. Can anyone give me some fund names they personally have that fit that criteria so we can start researching and narrow it down? Thanks.

You want to look for the index fund options and choose from there. The S&P 500 fund takes care of your large caps. So look for a small cap index and an international index for the rest. We can’t give you names because we need to know your options. Can you post the list?
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Sorry. I missed that it was Fidelity. Let me check.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Small cap index and total international index is what you’re looking for.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRobin View Post
          We are trying to allocate funds in a new IRA at Fidelity and so far we have picked an S&P mutual fund just to have it doing something, but I'd like to put some of it into a Large Cap fund and some in an International fund and some in a Small Cap fund. The huge lists they have given us are overwhelming. I guess I am looking for a place to start with funds that have historically performed at or above the level of the S&P over time. Can anyone give me some fund names they personally have that fit that criteria so we can start researching and narrow it down? Thanks.
          Lucky,
          Are you looking for particular mutual funds?
          I don't use large cap/mid/small, I just use total stock market and I don't have to worry about re-balancing to approximate the total stock market portion of my portfolio.

Fidelity® Total Market Index Fund - Premium Class (FSTVX)-EXPENSE RATIO: 0.035% This fund requires 10K minimum investment.

Alternatively, you can invest in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares-(VTSMX)-EXPENSE RATIO: 0.14% This fund requires 3K minimum investment.

These index funds don't beat the market, but mirror the asset class they were designed to follow (less a small amount for the expense ratio).

Here is a link to more fund suggestions for the 3 fund lazy portfolio:
          https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

Fidelity funds
          https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

Here is a link to how to approximate the total stock market using large/mid/small cap funds:
          https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Appr...l_stock_market

Comment

Working...
          X