Long on T (AT&T)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long on T (AT&T)?

I've been wanting to get into AT&T (T) for a while for their great dividends and with them possibly closing on a deal to buy out Time Warner Media. They're under $36 after hours (a 52 week low) and I'm wondering if this MAY be a good time to buy in? It hasn't been this low since 2015. My only concern is that in late 2015 is when their stock had an unusual spike, and I'm worried that it may eventually dwindle back down to it's "normal" low to mid 30's.

I looked around a little bit before responding back on this. Just as a bit of disclaimer: I don't follow AT&T so I had a look at what Morningstar and Marketwatch had to say about the company.

Morningstar wasn't exactly excited about the stock. They rank its stewardship as "poor" and say that the acquisition of Time Warner will only add about 1% to their bottom line revenue. Their analysts are also saying the stock value will only increase from $36.1 to $40.0. Here is a screen shot from their latest report on the company.

Marketwatch seems to be telling a similar story. Their consensus analyst estimate has the stock at a hold with only modest earnings growth. That is, growth from $2.91 dollars per share this year to $3.01 dollars per share next year.

So, bottom line - the "smart money" isn't that excited about the stock.
    Last edited by james.hendrickson; 09-07-2017, 06:03 PM. Reason: Clarity
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
      Their analysts are also saying the stock value will only increase from $36.1 to $40.0.
      Depending on the timeline, I wouldn't be upset with an 11% gain. Of course, if it takes 2 or 3 years to reach that point that wouldn't be good but if it does it within a year, that's not a bad deal.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

If you're looking for dividend yield, then this is probably a safe play, but I don't think you'll see a lot of appreciation in share value from this one.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
          If you're looking for dividend yield, then this is probably a safe play, but I don't think you'll see a lot of appreciation in share value from this one.
          This is basically it, AT&T has never been a massive growth stock, but their stock is relatively steady & their dividend yield is well over 5%, that certainly beats out any savings account or CD.

Comment

The company's dividend is providing safer options for investors who are afraid to take risk in terms of investment. passive investors love this kind of investment.

Comment

Buy near 52 week lows and keep collecting dividends! every time it hits back at 52 wk low buy more. Dividends baby!!! 232 at 35.98

Comment

What's everybody in at? 232 at 35.98. holding and collecting dividends. If this hits 41 I might sell and be up around 1,200

Comment

Originally posted by Sam1000 View Post
                  What's everybody in at? 232 at 35.98. holding and collecting dividends. If this hits 41 I might sell and be up around 1,200
                  I'm only long XOM at this point.
                  james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X