Originally posted by kv968
View Post
I'm starting with physical gold.
1)I sell gold at todays price. (currently $1658)
2)I invest the proceeds from the sale of gold in a 1 year time deposit.
3)I make an agreement to purchase gold at a given price in the future. (Aug 2013 currently $1668)
4)Convert the CD at maturity
5)Pay for delivery of the gold forward contract with the proceeds from the time deposit.
In the above example as long as the interest rate is above 3/4% a gain can be realised.
Yesterday, for a period of time, gold was in backwardation.
People who wish to earn a return on their gold, and retain the inflation hedge that gold offers can take advantage of something similar.
Private mints, refineries, depositories, and unallocated metal funds all take advantage of leasing.
I don't participate in leasing.
This was a mental exercise to illustrate the mechanics, and justify the gains I claimed were possible from gold leasing.
Gold forward contracts are between individuals, and require no initial outlay of cash.
They don't occur on an exchange, and are exempt from commission fees associated with futures contracts.
They are structured to suit individuals, and not subject to the restrictions of comex futures contracts.

Leave a comment: