The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

How important is gold for your investment portfolio?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 97guns
    replied
    i guess you guys havn't filled your gas tank in a while then or your just one of "them" that "they" have hoodwinked or maybe your so lucky that your wages are increasing at the same pace so you dont even feel it.. the consumer see's higher prices but it does not compute with them that the driving force behind higher prices is the printing of money.

    c'mon y'all cant be this blind, if they cut american idol down to a half hour show you'd be throwin a fit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Nice Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by 97guns View Post
    i am not an end of the world doom and gloomer and my metals have been performing well without any end of the world happenings. the sole reason for me taking the position in metal is that i DO NOT have any confidence in the fiat dollar system that is in place around the world. the printing presses are running wide open and this does nothing but dilute currency leading to more inflation. things are definately happening at a faster pace now and inflation will steepen and possibly go parabolic. the solution for everything is print more money and that is a very bad thing.

    the FED is stuck, he can not raise interest rates, like i said THE ONLY SOLUTION IS PRINTING MORE MONEY.
    When you say Fed and fiat currency in the same paragraph that is a giveaway. Oh and what "things" are happening at a faster pace now? lol

    Leave a comment:


  • disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by 97guns View Post
    i am not an end of the world doom and gloomer

    i DO NOT have any confidence in the fiat dollar system that is in place around the world. the printing presses are running wide open and this does nothing but dilute currency leading to more inflation. things are definately happening at a faster pace now and inflation will steepen and possibly go parabolic.
    Sure sounds like a "doom and gloomer" to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • 97guns
    replied
    i am not an end of the world doom and gloomer and my metals have been performing well without any end of the world happenings. the sole reason for me taking the position in metal is that i DO NOT have any confidence in the fiat dollar system that is in place around the world. the printing presses are running wide open and this does nothing but dilute currency leading to more inflation. things are definately happening at a faster pace now and inflation will steepen and possibly go parabolic. the solution for everything is print more money and that is a very bad thing.

    the FED is stuck, he can not raise interest rates, like i said THE ONLY SOLUTION IS PRINTING MORE MONEY.

    Leave a comment:


  • kork13
    replied
    Originally posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    Most of the people who are gung ho on physical possession of precious metals have some sort of end-of-times complex.
    Originally posted by 97guns View Post
    my entire portfolio consists of 50% income generating real estate and 50% physical precious metal.
    hmm.... case in point?



    Personally, I have no idea what portion of my investments are in precious metals... it's probably at zero right now. I don't care for them as investments. At present, I'd be willing to have perhaps 2-3% of my portfolio in a precious metals ETF (not a chance on physical possession of individual metal positions), and I wouldn't be comfortable with any more than 5% MAX in precious metals. Side note here.... now is NOT the time to buy into precious metals. Seriously? They're at a peak that was unheard of less than a decade ago. It would be utter lunacy to buy any significant position in them right now.

    Yes, acceptable level of risk is a personal matter... but I don't think any reasonable professional could, in good conscience, recommend more than 10% of a person's portfolio in precious metals (or in any single stock or other position).

    Leave a comment:


  • KTP
    replied
    Originally posted by MKKShah View Post
    Are you comfortable with the diversification that these two asset classes provide?

    More importantly, how do you own gold? Do you keep it with you? in a locker? ETFs?
    I guess you could wear it as a grill...that way you would always have it ready at hand if the end times come.

    Leave a comment:


  • MKKShah
    replied
    Originally posted by 97guns View Post
    my entire portfolio consists of 50% income generating real estate and 50% physical precious metal. my portfolio has done very well in the past 2 years, actually the healthiest its ever been including the dot com run up, in 2 years it is up 90% nearly a double up.
    Are you comfortable with the diversification that these two asset classes provide?

    More importantly, how do you own gold? Do you keep it with you? in a locker? ETFs?

    Leave a comment:


  • ukgaz
    replied
    I have a percentage of gold/silver in my portfolio though I expect it to be a small % in the long run. It doubles up as a hobby as I like to collect different coins.

    Leave a comment:


  • 97guns
    replied
    my entire portfolio consists of 50% income generating real estate and 50% physical precious metal. my portfolio has done very well in the past 2 years, actually the healthiest its ever been including the dot com run up, in 2 years it is up 90% nearly a double up.

    Leave a comment:


  • disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by MKKShah View Post
    Given the huge run up, are you looking to sell it now? Do you think gold is just about done with it's rise?
    I probably should, but since it represents only 2 or 3% of our portfolio, it doesn't much matter. I'll probably hang on to it just to have a little exposure to the sector.

    Leave a comment:


  • BuckyBadger
    replied
    Originally posted by MKKShah View Post
    So you recommend that I keep physical possession of gold, if I do invest?
    No. I was being sarcastic.

    Most of the people who are gung ho on physical possession of precious metals have some sort of end-of-times complex. IN that case, I think a gun and a lifetime supply of Brita filters would be a hell of a lot more useful.

    Leave a comment:


  • MKKShah
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    Agreed. We do have a very small position in a precious metals fund in my wife's old 403b plan. I did it just for the heck of it and got in before the huge run up in prices so made a great profit but it is a tiny percentage of our overall portfolio.
    Given the huge run up, are you looking to sell it now? Do you think gold is just about done with it's rise?

    Leave a comment:


  • MKKShah
    replied
    Originally posted by BuckyBadger View Post

    Although my husband does collect coins, and I have a shotgun, so should the apocalypse come, we'll have a few thousand dollars worth of Morgan Silver Dollars and a gun...
    So you recommend that I keep physical possession of gold, if I do invest?

    Leave a comment:


  • Slug
    replied
    I think gold has a place in a well-diversified portfolio. I would never go near a 70% allocation though. Still you might check out the Crawling Road blog and read about the Permanent Portfolio. I do have some assets in the underlying mutual fund and ETF (PERM). All that said, it's only a very small portion of my portfolio.

    Leave a comment:


  • MonkeyMama
    replied
    0% gold - I personally wouldn't invest in it.

    {A mutual fund that invests in commodoties - maybe - but only for a small portion of my portfolio. It's not important enough to have done it thus far. If it's not inside a retirement account, gold has higher taxes than most any other investment}.
    Last edited by MonkeyMama; 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X