The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

How important is gold for your investment portfolio?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    Not at all important to my investment portfolio.
    Agreed. We do have a very small position in a precious metals fund in my wife's old 403b plan. I did it just for the heck of it and got in before the huge run up in prices so made a great profit but it is a tiny percentage of our overall portfolio.

    Leave a comment:


  • BuckyBadger
    replied
    Not at all important to my investment portfolio.

    Although my husband does collect coins, and I have a shotgun, so should the apocalypse come, we'll have a few thousand dollars worth of Morgan Silver Dollars and a gun...

    Leave a comment:


  • bjl584
    replied
    Right now, I would rather invest in mining companies and in mine equipment makers than in the end product.

    I currently don't own any precious metals. Not to say that commodities don't play a part in an investment strategy, but I think that most commodities have had a nice run and are now overbought. Wait for the pullback before jumping onboard.

    Leave a comment:


  • How important is gold for your investment portfolio?

    I am now in the process of building a diversified investment portfolio. While I am still deciding on Mutual funds and asset allocation across investment types, a colleague of mine told me over lunch that he considered gold as the only long term store of wealth. He kept going on and on about fiat currencies and such and also mentioned that he keeps almost 70% of his investments in gold. This is someone I respect very much, but was taken aback at this revelation. I also think 70% is a bit excessive.

    How important is gold in your portfolio?
    What percentage of your investment portfolio is gold?
    If you do have gold, how do you own it? Do you physically own it? or is it in the form of GLD shares?

    I simply cannot bring myself to accept that gold has any use or value. I think it's a useless metal, and has only novelty value, and I am not about to invest a percentage of my savings in a novelty metal. But am I wrong? If enough people think of gold as a store of value, perhaps it is? Where do folks stand on this issue?
Working...
X