Originally posted by jIM_Ohio
View Post
Logging in...
When and how do you move out of a mutual fund?
Collapse
X
-
I do have a 529 and it was 100% in an age-based portfolio until a couple of years ago. When the market started heading south, I decided that the age-based fund was more aggressive than I was comfortable with at that point. I left the money I had in that fund but redirected my new contributions to a more conservative fund to gradually ratchet down the overall stock exposure. Basically, as Jim suggests, I felt my risk profile no longer matched the risk profile of the fund I was in.Steve
* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
-
-
there are 2 options:Originally posted by Andrew Jackson View PostI know this question is kind of broad and depends on probably many different factors. But maybe someone could help.
Now the idea with mutual funds is that you are supposed to just let your money sit and ride everything out. But what about the 2008 bear market? Surely, if you were in an S&P index fund, like I currently am in now, you wouldn't have wanted to just let your money sit and ride the market out right? At what point does one decide to take money out? How much do you take out? Do you take money out in smaller chunks over a longer period of time until the market corrects itself? Or do you just take a large lump sum out.
1. either you are there for the complete ride (up and down) for a long period (more than 5 years)
2. buy the fund in a fixed amount of money each month - when the market declines you will simply buy more units.
do know of anyone who can time the market
Comment
-

Comment