Let's say you purchase a stock at 15 dollars a share. What is your process to figuring out when to sell it?
This is a hypothetical and educational question as I have no experience in selling...well, anything. I have been investing since I was 23 (Currently 37) and have made only one sale (Mutual funds to dig myself out from a credit card).
My thoughts are this; there are a few ways to determine your sell.
1. A date: Meaning you intend to sell after X amount of days/weeks or as the market has identified dips and ups in the past.
2. A dollar amount: You pay 15 dollars a share and you put a limit in for 16.50 per share and let it ride.
3. A percentage: You decide that you are happy with a 10% profit on anything you purchase so you do the math and put your stop in for that amount.
Are there any other options I missed? What are your opinions on the above or what is your own method?
Thanks for your input,
Ray
This is a hypothetical and educational question as I have no experience in selling...well, anything. I have been investing since I was 23 (Currently 37) and have made only one sale (Mutual funds to dig myself out from a credit card).
My thoughts are this; there are a few ways to determine your sell.
1. A date: Meaning you intend to sell after X amount of days/weeks or as the market has identified dips and ups in the past.
2. A dollar amount: You pay 15 dollars a share and you put a limit in for 16.50 per share and let it ride.
3. A percentage: You decide that you are happy with a 10% profit on anything you purchase so you do the math and put your stop in for that amount.
Are there any other options I missed? What are your opinions on the above or what is your own method?
Thanks for your input,
Ray



Comment