The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

It's really tough to "stay the course" . . .

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's really tough to "stay the course" . . .

    . . . when the 401(K) contribution you make on Friday, is all lost by the closing bell on Tuesday. 2 weeks worth of contributions, gone in 2 days. Agh.

  • #2
    It is because you are starting out.

    My deposits this year make it look like I almost broke even- that is 20k+ going into various 401k and IRA accounts.

    When the gains in the portfolio are more than the annual deposits, the perspective you have will change.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wish these websites would place more emphasis on the number of shares or NAVs you accumulate. While the information is readily available, it isn't always right out in front like the way the dollar amount is.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jIM_Ohio View Post
        It is because you are starting out.

        My deposits this year make it look like I almost broke even- that is 20k+ going into various 401k and IRA accounts.

        When the gains in the portfolio are more than the annual deposits, the perspective you have will change.
        Yeah, It's tough to watch my balance pretty much stagnate around $12k, even after increasing my contribution percentage earlier this year.

        I do have the advantage of starting work/investing in mid 2006, so since inception I'm actually up about 2% instead of coworkers and friends from school that started a year later and are firmly in the red.

        Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
        I wish these websites would place more emphasis on the number of shares or NAVs you accumulate. While the information is readily available, it isn't always right out in front like the way the dollar amount is.
        I'd definitley be interested to try and plot shares held and account value on the same chart, over the course of the year . Probably makes things a little bit more palletable.

        Comment


        • #5
          Consider this, so long as you keep buying on a regular basis, you are buying each share at a discount (On sale if you will). Each purchase offers dollar cost averaging and in the end, you should have more shares purchased at a lower cost and when the market rebounds...and it will, you will make out ahead. The only person this really effects is those retiring in the next year or so.

          Also, you do not lose until you sell, until then, you still own the same amount of shares, just just buying more with the same money so to me... this looks good on paper.

          I have about four more years under me before I consider retiring so the market/economy looks good to me (BTW I earn salary and live below my means).

          Hope this helped,
          Ray

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mrpaseo View Post

            I have about four more years under me before I consider retiring so the market/economy looks good to me (BTW I earn salary and live below my means).
            Yeah, I've got about FOURTY years before retirement. I'm well aware of the "buying at a discount" mentality . . . it's just painful to actually do it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Have patience grasshopper. It will turn around.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm actually 35, I will have the opportunity to retire at the age of 39 (From active duty service), of course I will still need to work, but I am throwing in the towel at the ripe age of 50, then, I start living on dividents.

                Ray

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mrpaseo View Post
                  I'm actually 35, I will have the opportunity to retire at the age of 39 (From active duty service), of course I will still need to work, but I am throwing in the towel at the ripe age of 50, then, I start living on dividents.

                  Ray
                  Very nice

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X