The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

When to dump a mutual fund?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When to dump a mutual fund?

    What criteria do you use to decide when to sell off a mutual fund?

    What makes you think "Maybe I should consider selling Fund X" and what makes you actually go ahead and do it?

    Any info or perspectives would be appreciated. I normally consider myself a buy-and-hold investor, so this is very unfamiliar territory for me.

  • #2
    Re: When to dump a mutual fund?

    i would suggest checking the fund's performance in comparison to the reset of the sector. you should have information available as to which sector your fund is in (energy, real estate, international, etc) and how well the sector as a whole has been performing. if your fund is a loser compared to the rest of its sector over the past couple of years, it might be time to find a better managed fund.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: When to dump a mutual fund?

      When to Sell a Mutual Fund

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: When to dump a mutual fund?

        safari, that is a great article. I recently changed from one mutual fund to another because it was performing like a dog and I did not see it changing any time soon. I made a great move because the new fund is doing much, much, better!

        Comment

        Working...
        X