Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitcoin IRA who has it? Would you get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitcoin IRA who has it? Would you get it?

I've been looking to open a bitcoin Roth IRA for 2022. Disclaimer, you won't find this on Bitcoin IRA's website, I had to go thru their sales pitch and requested an email pdf of fees which are quite high (about 10% when opening an account). The next cheaper option is iTrust Capital with 1% transaction fees and $29.99 monthly maintenance fee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BitcoinIRA2.png
Views:	97
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	729353 Click image for larger version

Name:	iTrustCapital.png
Views:	79
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	729354

Personally, I wouldn't. At least not right now. I really don't understand crypto or how it works.
    So, to set up an IRA based on it doesn't seem smart for me.

If you are into crypto, understand it, and believe in it long-term, then I see no reason to not do it.

Brian

Comment

Those fees are ridiculous. I wouldn’t do that even if I want to put money in crypto.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

9% of a $7000 max contribution (over 50 yrs old) = $630 they’d take just to start for Bitcoin IRA. ITrust Capital is a little better at $30 x 12 months = $360 a year plus 1% transaction fee of $7000 = $70, for a total of $360 + $70 = $430 to start. I love bitcoin but these fees are ridiculous as disneysteve mentioned.

Comment

It's basically a self-directed IRA that happens to be holding crypto. Realistically, those fees are always going to be higher than a basic brokerage IRA. Not sure those listed here are totally "normal", but it's probably within the range.

And no, definitely not wasting or risking my retirement assets or my IRA "space" with crypto.
          Last edited by kork13; 12-28-2021, 08:50 AM.
          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Trade Station is much better. I think I found what I was looking for (lol).

Name:	TradeStation1.png
Views:	78
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	729365 Click image for larger version

Name:	TradeStation2.png
Views:	61
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	729366

Comment

My safest investment would be to buy $7000 in USDC stable coin and get the 6%. But I'm not sure what the loan to Galaxy Digital entails in the fine print. If Galaxy defaults on the loan does that mean I lose my $7000, if that is the case I don't want the 6%, and I rather get bitcoin and no loans nor 1%.

Name:	TradeStation3.png
Views:	77
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	729369

Comment

Name:	Alto1.png
Views:	63
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	729384

Comment

This is as good idea as spending $500k to renovate a 100 year old house.

Comment

Ha-ha.

Comment

I learned of Bitcoin IRA on a podcast and went through the steps of opening an account, but then when I saw the fee's I stopped. I felt it was too much. I'm just going to wait. I "think" I heard there might be some legislation coming down the pike that will allow us to hold cripto in our regular Roth Ira's at some point.

Comment

Just like Thrift-t, I opened an acct with Trade Station but I haven't funded it yet. I'm waiting until 2022 to fund it. In the meantime Trade Station gave $10 free crypto and keeps sending emails to fund the acct. I just got this email of bonuses. So in 2022, I'll make the max contribution, $6790 and get free $200 + free $10 to total $7000 in my IRA, pretty sweet deal. I wish the IRS would allow $10,000 max contribution or more.

Name:	TS$200bonus.png
Views:	50
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	729405

Name:	TS$200bonus2.png
Views:	39
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	729406

Comment

So Mr. Rennigade is it still a bad idea (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                            So Mr. Rennigade is it still a bad idea (lol).
                            That bonus reward just doesn't entice me. I just signed up for another credit card that after spending $3k I get $500...of course there's a $95 annual fee but I'm out of credit cards to churn at the moment.

I haven't looked into the fees but crypto scares me. Some people are making a boat load from it while others are loosing their shirts. I still like the idea of a decentralized banking system though. Crypto is still better than stupid nfts, and people are also making a mint from those.

Comment

My profit from cryptos at one point could have bought a new Jeep Cherokee at $37,000. But with the recent drops now maybe I can buy a new Nissan Sentra for $25,000 which is still good but not as good as it once was.

Comment

Working...
                              X