Oh comcast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh comcast...

Our year promotion rate ran up and our new bill was $25 more per month. I called and went through the whole cancel thing...they wouldnt budge on giving me any sort of discount. Actually hung up and called back...got someone new...still wouldnt budge.

So I cancelled...returned equipment (comcast office is 3 miles from our place...no line, couldnt believe it.) Placed order for new service under my name, was under wifes name previously...equipment will be here tomorrow.

Its so annoying having to do this. It will save us $170 over the course of a year...not a ton of money but for less than an hour of my time I figured it was worth it. Same service (tv/internet) for the price we were paying previously.

We had to do that with Verizon fios recently and I told them that I would doing that. They didn't care and wouldn't match the new customer promotion.

Comment

The games those companies play drive me crazy. We switched from Verizon to Comcast last year because Comcast came knocking on the door with a better offer and Verizon wouldn't budge. Of course, a week after we switched, Verizon was suddenly able to offer lower rates. But, we said too late and that we'd stick with Comcast for awhile.

When we got notice that our Comcast was expiring the other day, my husband called in and actually got them to give us a better deal, $5 less/month than we were paying and we'll have cable again. It's weird how sometimes you can get them to work with you and sometimes you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseBucks View Post
        We had to do that with Verizon fios recently and I told them that I would doing that. They didn't care and wouldn't match the new customer promotion.
        Oh wow. I didnt go that far but we've been cancelling/renewing for the past 3 years. I started with my name, then wife, then me again. I wouldnt be surprised if I could just cancel/renew in my name every year. They dont really seem to care.

We're moving at the end of the year (hopefully.) Where we're going doesnt have comcast...there is a small local company that provides cable service. We're going to be at the mercy of them. Its either service with them or no service at all...and considering my wife will be working from home and hopefully I will too...we wont have a choice. Whatever they want to charge we'll have to pay. yikes!
        Last edited by rennigade; 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

comcast did the same to me. Jacked the monthly rate up without notice. Wouldn't give me the advertised new customer rate. So I cancelled and went to FIOS. Two months later I get weekly offers to join comcast as a new customer....great business model.

I have stuck with FIOS for 4+ years now because my monthly bill has never increased.
          Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Comment

I call them ConCast.

As with all cable and cellular providers, you have to watch for what I call "bill creep." That is, even without a new rate, they will begin upping your monthly amount by just a few cents here or there and you never notice it.

Three years later you look up and you're paying a lot more.

If you pull a transaction report off of your bank statement for these, you will see that the costs creep up over a period of months, although some months they will skip so you won't notice.

It's all a game.
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

I hate both companies. Tired of their junk mail with their stupid teaser rates. Give me a GOOD FRICKIN DEAL every month and I will stay loyal. Instead they play these stupid games. Right now I have overpriced internet that I need to get lowered. No cable, no phone.

Comment

I have Time Warner and they suck. They can never fix technical problems in a timely manner. When my locked in rate is up, they won't give me a discount unless I talk to about three different people and then it's usually just an extension of the original deal. I don't want to leave TW because I understand how to hook the tivos up to their equipment. I don't need a new learning experience.

how much do you pay for landline, internet and cable? We pay $203, my dad really likes HBO and Showtime. He doesn't get to do much with my mom so sick so I haven't tried cutting those out. I did suggest cutting cable and just using hulu, netflix and amazon. That didn't go over well. My dad loves all these nature shows on NatGeo. I just can't take the one thing he likes to do away from him.

next renewal, I want out of the landline, now that my parents will have iPhones, there's no point to keeping it. It's just always bundled into the plans.

Comment

Are they the only game in town ?

Comment

FLA I have Time Warner but no premium channels just extended basic, maybe it's called? It's like 80 channels, internet, and phone and I pay $125 in Ohio. My sister lives 20 miles away from me and all the same services and pays $180!

You have to call every year before your promotion is over to get on the new one for the year. Of course it always goes up, I was paying $119 and then when I called it jumped to $125 so every year it goes up. But if I didn't call it would go up around $30 or $40 a month.

My sister never called when her promotion expired and now that she's up so high they won't come down on her bill. When she tells them what I pay they act like they don't know what she's talking about. Its really a racket.

I never thought to cancel and then re sign up in my husband's name? But honestly it takes me hours to get their crap up and working, I don't think the aggravation would be worth it. I'd love to get rid of it all together but we can't be without sports channels in this house. Don't tell me about sling or any other internet service, my husband won't have anything to do with it

Comment

I wish you could just pick the channels you want and pay for them. There are hundreds we never use, including all the sport channels

Comment

Originally posted by FLA View Post
                        I wish you could just pick the channels you want and pay for them. There are hundreds we never use, including all the sport channels
                        Sling box.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                          Sling box.
                          I use a local internet company and it's 60/month for their fastest package.

Sling doesn't really let you pick either. They have smaller packages that add up to the same as the big players if you want most of what they offer.

I don't know of any service that offers a true "pick your channels" option. I wouldn't mind paying 15 bucks a month to get about 10 or 15 channels I would watch.

I pay 1.99 a month to get all the UK channels on my roku because there are some things on there we like. It's about 20 channels.
                          Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and make bad choices.

Comment

Originally posted by FLA View Post
                            Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                            Sling box.
                            The problem is you still need Internet access and they price that through the roof. You can definitely save money by having Internet Access only and using another method to watch shows, but not nearly as much savings as it should be.

Comcast's Performance Internet is $74.95/month (plus equipment and fees) if you are not currently under a promo.

Comment

Originally posted by StormRichards View Post
                              The problem is you still need Internet access and they price that through the roof. You can definitely save money by having Internet Access only and using another method to watch shows, but not nearly as much savings as it should be.

Comcast's Performance Internet is $74.95/month (plus equipment and fees) if you are not currently under a promo.
                              I have a friend at work who pays around $75/month just for internet through comcast. They dont even have tv. I pay $79/month for tv and internet. For a few more bucks they could get tv. By the time people pay for netflix or slingbox...you could basically just pay for a combo deal through comcast and break even.

Its a racket thats impossible to get around. Pretty much everyone relies on internet access. If everyone drops tv subscriptions tomorrow they would change download/upload rates to higher and just charge more.

Comment

Working...
                              X