PayPal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal

I would like to order an online subscription. However, the only option is recurring payments and autorenewal. I was reading Paypal and apparently you can turn off the the autorenewal charge before it happens. I want to subscribe to try something but dont' want to get stuck with a forever recurring charge. And, I honestly do not trust a lot of these websites as it is always far easier to get someone to sell it to you if you call but if you have an issue or want to cancel that goes unanswered. Not aways, but I have had bad experiences. So i would like to order something for a year, if i like it i will let it renew. If I don't then I want to cancel it and let it lapse. I mean, I will try to go thru the proper channels but want an OUT if necessary. So, does anyone have experience with Paypal or any other 3rd party payor?

If they make it difficult to cancel the easiest way out is to remove your credit card from Paypal.

Comment

I've never had a problem with canceling paypal subscriptions... if I recall correctly, there's a place you can remove them as being allowed to place recurring charges. The hardest subscription I've ever had to cancel was the Wall Street Journal. Despite turning off auto-renew and canceling the account on several occasions, it kept charging, and then every time I would log in to see what the problem was, it would automatically reactivate the account and set it up to charge again. It ended up taking a few phone calls with terrible customer service, but I finally got it sorted out. Never again with them, sheesh. If that hadn't worked, I'd have simply disputed the charges via amex, which I'm sure you could also do with paypal?

Comment

I was thinking of getting another card with a low limit and then i could use it as a throw away and easily cancel it if needed.

Comment

I think if someone WANTS autorenewal, then yes that should be an option. But, I think it's grossly unfair to Consumers that any merchant can presume you are contracting for a lifetime of service and the onus is YOU to cancel it. So, next time I buy a Honda, they should just "presume" in 3 yrs I want another Honda and charge me $30k and drop it at my front door unless I cancel? I dont' care what the Fine Print says, that is just WRONG. There is no reason the LAW cannot make this an OPTION for consumers but in now way should a merchant be allowed to keep you on the hook for their service. I paid my year in full for THIS YEAR, they should have no presumption about subsequent years. I wish others would get behind this and talk to their legislators. I have but they don't seem to care.

Comment

Originally posted by Snicks View Post
            I think if someone WANTS autorenewal, then yes that should be an option. But, I think it's grossly unfair to Consumers that any merchant can presume you are contracting for a lifetime of service and the onus is YOU to cancel it.
            I agree; this is why I always immediately cancel almost every subscription I sign up for the very moment after I sign up. Things like netflix, hulu, reading subscriptions, game subscriptions, anything at all, I sign up and the very next step is I cancel it. And I always put in the comments that I don't want to commit beyond one period of service and that I would rather make up my mind at the end of my paid subscription as to whether they're still worth the cost. So if you were to look at my email, you'd see a string of "Thanks for signing up for X" followed immediately by "Sorry to see you leave us".

Comment

Originally posted by HundredK View Post
              I agree; this is why I always immediately cancel almost every subscription I sign up for the very moment after I sign up. Things like netflix, hulu, reading subscriptions, game subscriptions, anything at all, I sign up and the very next step is I cancel it. And I always put in the comments that I don't want to commit beyond one period of service and that I would rather make up my mind at the end of my paid subscription as to whether they're still worth the cost. So if you were to look at my email, you'd see a string of "Thanks for signing up for X" followed immediately by "Sorry to see you leave us".
              Yes, but as I said, I don't think the onus belongs on the customer to prevent themselves from being charged. There is a lot of electronic stealing going on all around.

Comment

Yes, but as I said, I don't think the onus belongs on the customer to prevent themselves from being charged. There is a lot of electronic stealing going on all around.
                Sure, but what better way to tell them it bothers you than by immediately canceling a subscription? They sure aren't likely to make changes when everyone keeps their subscriptions active, and then even worse, most people forget about them altogether, and wahoo, free money! I like to make points and vote with my dollars, and in this situation, nixing the subscription is the best way I see how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by HundredK View Post

Sure, but what better way to tell them it bothers you than by immediately canceling a subscription? They sure aren't likely to make changes when everyone keeps their subscriptions active, and then even worse, most people forget about them altogether, and wahoo, free money! I like to make points and vote with my dollars, and in this situation, nixing the subscription is the best way I see how to do that.
                  I don't think it bothers them at all. There are enough people who "forget" how many things they are subscribed too that makes it gold for them. So a few who cancel, what do they care?

Comment

I don't think it bothers them at all. There are enough people who "forget" how many things they are subscribed too that makes it gold for them. So a few who cancel, what do they care?
                    No, no one person at these companies will notice or care. But if I (and others) do this enough times, their algorithms that look at responses to cancellations will notice and might make a note of it that a decision making human can contemplate. It's at least a thing we can do that is very easy to do. So my question is, why wouldn't people do this? Plus, it often saves me money, because it turns out I only really want things like netflix for maybe 3 random months a year, and having it auto cancel really does let me think about whether I still want it, and to wait until I really do want it to pay for it again.

Comment

I also hate when they advertise a "free trial" but when you try to sign up, you need to give your CC info. It's true that the first however many days is free but then they automatically bill you when that period ends unless you call and cancel.

There have been many things that I haven't bothered trying because I didn't want the hassle of having to cancel if I didn't like it. I'm sure the company make money this way, but they also lose out on people like me who don't even give them a chance because of the auto-charge policy.
                      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                      X