Announcement

Collapse

Markets Closed Memorial Day Monday

U.S. stocks markets are closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. Foreign financial markets will be open. The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq will resume normal trading hours on Tuesday.
See more
See less

0% APR credit cards - do you guys take advantage of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0% APR credit cards - do you guys take advantage of it?

So I needed to get another credit card for my business. They insta-approved with a $25k limit (guess my credit must be decent). According to the terms of the card, I have 0% apr for new charges and balance transfers for 15 months.

So unless I'm missing something, I can rack up $25k in charges (paying minimum monthly), then pay the entire thing off before 15 months. The money I would have used to pay off the card monthly can go into a high yield savings account until I'm ready to pay it off. Do you guys incorporate these types of offers in your financial planning?

I used to play those games years ago but I haven't bothered for a long time. The effort required vs. the money saved just isn't worth it to me anymore. At this point, I prefer to keep things simple.

Keep in mind that credit utilization ratio is a big factor in your credit score. Even if they are giving you a 25K credit line, that doesn't mean you want to go and max it out as that will negatively affect your score. You never really want to charge more than 20-30% of your limit, so up to about $7,500 in this case. Now if you aren't concerned with your score, sure you could suck out the entire 25K and drop it in an account earning 2.2% or more, just make the minimum monthly payment, and collect all the interest. If it's worth the effort for you, go for it.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

^

Yeah i dont really care about my credit score. We'll see. I might end up drawing the same conclusion as you. haha

Comment

This was a thing 10 or 12 years years ago during the days of zero charges for balance transfers and cash advances. With savings rates over 5%, one could make some nice risk-free money.
        You aren't going to come out too far ahead these days though. Probably not worth the effort.
        Brian

Comment

Working...
        X