help me create a complete budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me create a complete budget

these are the categories I use to estimate my current and future budgets and i'm wondering if there are other things I should consider that may come up? (or is there already a pre made complete list somewhere on the internet?)

home/living expenses
    mortgage
    property tax
    association dues
    home repairs/maintenance

insurances
    home
    life
    car
    health

utilities
    gas
    electric
    water
    garbage
    cable/internet/cell

other
    food
    sundries
    gym memberships
    student loans
    pets
    clothes/shoes

transportation
    car payment
    gas
    tolls
    repairs/maintenance
    registrations
    plane tickets

services/repairs
    gardeners
    pest control
    plumbers/electricians/AC/sprinklers/painters/etc

any other major categories I should consider? I have gone through my last couple years of credit card statements and Ive pretty much covered most of what we've spent (there are minor charges here and there for stuff like books, music, movies, coffee, haircuts, etc) but i'm trying to figure out if we are forgetting/not considering some big possible expenses.

the two primary things I'm curious about are:
    1) children - we just had our first so what could come up? obviously i know about food, diapers, day care, toys, etc...anything else?
    2) retirement - for those who have retired recently, any unexpected expenses pop up?

thanks in advance!

Medical bills? Especially with a child.

Comment

Originally posted by rigz View Post
      these are the categories I use to estimate my current and future budgets and i'm wondering if there are other things I should consider that may come up? (or is there already a pre made complete list somewhere on the internet?)

any other major categories I should consider? I have gone through my last couple years of credit card statements and Ive pretty much covered most of what we've spent (there are minor charges here and there for stuff like books, music, movies, coffee, haircuts, etc) but i'm trying to figure out if we are forgetting/not considering some big possible expenses.

thanks in advance!
      You have a good list going!

I'd also include a "Vacation" category.

I'd also include a category for either or both "Blow money" and "Adult allowances - his and hers."

I'd also further split food into two categories: "Eating out" and "Groceries"

Do you give to any charities?

Do you give presents for either holidays (Christmas for example) or birthdays?

Are the plane tickets vacation related or job related with reimbursements?

Also check out this post.
      ~ Eagle

Comment

1) children - we just had our first so what could come up? obviously i know about food, diapers, day care, toys, etc...anything else?

thanks in advance!
        First, Congrats! Your life is drastically changing with your first little one I’m sure. What a great adventure!

See this post about a baby checklist. But here’s a summary of the 3 major categories to consider when talking about babies:

1. Furniture (Crib, Mattress, Sheets)
        2. Stuff for Baby (think Diapers, Wipes, Diaper Bag, Rash Ointment, sling, stroller, and rear-facing car seat)
        3. Stuff for Mom (Maternity clothes, nursing bra, breast pads, shields, cream; or if using formula – formula & bottles)

Remember you need a car seat to leave the hospital. Having a baby shower is also nice for family & friends to help you with gifts. Sign up for Amazon Mom and get a 20% discount on diapers in bulk and free delivery to your house for a year.
        ~ Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by herdjohnson View Post
          Medical bills? Especially with a child.
          thanks!

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
          You have a good list going!

I'd also include a "Vacation" category.

I'd also include a category for either or both "Blow money" and "Adult allowances - his and hers."

I'd also further split food into two categories: "Eating out" and "Groceries"

Do you give to any charities?

Do you give presents for either holidays (Christmas for example) or birthdays?

Are the plane tickets vacation related or job related with reimbursements?

Also check out this post.
          good ones - ill add these.

the plane tickets are usually travel to visit family.

Comment

Very thorough list, we have disability insurance and include an 'Education' line item as we contributed to an education fund for DSs for their university costs and seem to regularly pay for courses to update our knowledge base or a new interests.

Comment

I might be able to help you making your budget but you have to let me know your total income and let's see what are the things that we can disregard or not. Retirement is very important so as education. Maybe you can lessen other expenses so you can consider other important ones. There are list online for complete budget list but it's only you who knows the essential expenses that you can include. You should have a personalized budget.

Comment

One major assumption here - that all federal/state/local income tax has already been paid, and these are post-income tax expenses.

In addition to what's been mentioned already (the big ones were Vacation and Medical, including co-pays & meds):

It's a good idea to add an umbrella (personal liability) policy for insurance.
                Do you have any other taxes on the cars? We pay an annual excise tax to the town in our state.
                Haircuts, including any other regular salon services.
                Any subscriptions? (Netflix, magazine, newspaper)

Comment

Create a spreadsheet that segments income in the top half and expenses in the bottom. Create columns for each month in the time frame--if your time frame is quarterly there should be three columns plus a total column.

Comment

home/living expenses
                    mortgage
                    property tax
                    association dues
                    home repairs/maintenance

insurances
                    home
                    life
                    car
                    health

utilities
                    gas
                    electric
                    water
                    garbage
                    cable/internet/cell

other
                    food
                    sundries
                    gym memberships
                    student loans
                    pets
                    clothes/shoes

transportation
                    car payment
                    gas
                    tolls
                    repairs/maintenance
                    registrations
                    plane tickets

services/repairs
                    gardeners
                    pest control
                    plumbers/electricians/AC/sprinklers/painters/etc

2) retirement - for those who have retired recently, any unexpected expenses pop up?

thanks in advance!
                    Educational plan for your kids. Since you are having a child, those you mentioned above are also necessary for him/her.

Comment

Google Drive has a great spread sheet tool and there are ready made budget templates—just modify the fields to fit your specifics.

Comment

I don’t see any money for entertainment (inc baby sitter) or other personal spending (nite out w/ male/female friends or co-workers, grooming (hair cuts,manicure/pedicure), gifts for anyone ( inc spouse for bdays, anniversary, Christmas……), replacing a car, replacing or repairing appliances

Comment

Saving Category

Savings, Retirement Savings, healthcare, miscellaneous categories...

I started using Dave Ramsey's budget forms.
                          Last edited by BadSaver; 01-01-2015, 07:11 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

Memberships. Before we had a child we had none. Afterwards... indoor playground type of things, especially for winter/blazing summer, zoo, botanical garden, now that he is older legoland and dance "classes", clothes for recitals.

But by far, childcare is the biggest expense when it comes to children. Diapers and such are not even worth mentioning compared to that.

Birthdays

Holiday tips for all service workers

Car maintenance should include a fraction of the eventual tire/break pads replacements

Annual cc fees (hotel ccs that give free night a year), Turbotax or accountant

eventual tech upgrades (phone or ipad or computer)

Fitness

Comment

Definitely add categories like:

Charities/Church (you can deduct 10% from your taxes)
                              Retirement (even if you put a nominal amount away)
                              Medical (consider a health savings account)
                              Christmas/Birthday, etc. (will help you stay on budget during the holidays)
                              Emergency Fund (put a little back for unexpected expenses)

Comment

Working...
                              X