Bye Bye to Cable/Satellite TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye Bye to Cable/Satellite TV

I'm saying Bye Bye to my air TV subscription. I noticed an entire month had passed without me even watching any TV. I'm more into internet (which is connected to my TV). Further and this is really the final blow to my Cable TV -- they encrypted the digital stream and now I have to use a set top-box or a digital adapter (for rent). I already have my system wired in-wall These additional plugs and equipment is just an unncecessary change for my home theater setting. I'd gladly welcome the savings I'll get from this move.
    Kill the debt, before it kills you!

What is an "air TV subscription?" Is this local channels delivered to you by encrypted QAM, which requires a set top box you rent from the cable company?

If you're able, you can receive almost all those channels, and possibly a few more, from an antenna. There are tons of resources online, e.g., tvfool.com, for determining your ability to get channels, and lots of sites for making your own antenna. We're enjoying a hybrid of OTA TV and content delivered by Roku.

Comment

Good for you!

We cut satellite TV 3 years ago and have an antenna.

Comment

We have gone two years without cable or satilite tv... and never looking back.. huge money saver!!! best thing we ever did!

Comment

Originally posted by sniper260 View Post
          We have gone two years without cable or satilite tv... and never looking back.. huge money saver!!! best thing we ever did!
          Same here! A $9-a-month Netflix subscription gives me all the movies and TV shows I could want to watch!
          Retired To Win
          I blog weekly on frugal living, personal finance & earlier retirement at:
          retiredtowin.com
          making the most of my time and my money

Comment

Welcome to the club! I haven't had cable for years, and happily watch what little TV I want to via an over-the-air antenna (free) or watching shows on the network websites (also free). I do share a Hulu subscription with my brother, which is great, but even then, very very low cost compared to cable.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by Randomsaver View Post
              I'm saying Bye Bye to my air TV subscription. I noticed an entire month had passed without me even watching any TV. I'm more into internet (which is connected to my TV). Further and this is really the final blow to my Cable TV -- they encrypted the digital stream and now I have to use a set top-box or a digital adapter (for rent). I already have my system wired in-wall These additional plugs and equipment is just an unncecessary change for my home theater setting. I'd gladly welcome the savings I'll get from this move.
              I'd like to but my wife does watch it.

Comment

Good for you! We cut out that expense 4 years ago and could not be happier it has probably saved us thousands of dollars.

Comment

Anytime I suggest we drop down from Tier two cable DH gets upset; not worth upsetting DH on such a minor issue. I know he would like to increase channels but likely defers as he doesn't want to risk my feeling bad. DSs bought DH a couple of years of NetFlix for Father's Day last year...or the year before. He rarely watches TV so we're all bewildered.
                  Last edited by snafu; 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Just to clarify, cable providers provide 1) free/air TV subscription (regular channels), about $25 per month and 2) cable TV subscription (e.g., ESPN, HBO), price depends on package.

I disconnected #1 starting this month (#2 had long been disconnected) due to Comcast's launch of scrambler program. Comcast is asking me to pay/rent an HD unscrambler box for $10 initially per TV on top of the $25 I already was paying them per month for free TV subscription.

Are you guys saying that an antenna would work even without #1? Is it HD though?
                    Last edited by Randomsaver; 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM.
                    Kill the debt, before it kills you!

Comment

I think that the basic cable for $25 a month has more channels than the free over the air channels and if those free over the air channels suffice, I would go with free. As for me I pay $70 a month and would like to cut the cord but I like sports and business news channels (ie, CNBC, Fox Business News, etc). For sports I have to have ESPN, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports West (Angels baseball), Sports Net LA (Dodgers baseball), I could cut the cord and buy the sports season subscriptions but it would cost about the same. For instance, MLB TV or MLB Extra Innings costs about $200 per season. NBA League Pass costs about $200 per season. Football would cost over $200 per season. So I'm pretty much stuck paying $70 a month for cable.

Comment

Its Worth It

Hi,

I ditched cable about two years ago. I thought it would be super tough because my little ones enjoy watching their shows on t.v. sometimes, but I have found that they are VERY happy with Netflix! So, I am able to save money BIG time. Its awesome.

I do get complaints sometimes from my kids when they hear about a new show that they missed because we don't have cable. Usually, though, they are able to watch the show online, on the networks site for free. So, it works out! And I rarely watch tv, so I'm happy to save money.

-Brandi

Comment

Originally posted by Randomsaver View Post
                          Are you guys saying that an antenna would work even without #1? Is it HD though?
                          All you need to receive your local broadcasts is an antenna. And yes, it's HD. In fact, it's better HD than what you get from cable/satellite, because it's less compressed.
                          seek knowledge, not answers
                          personal finance

Comment

Originally posted by dawnwes View Post
                            Good for you!

We cut satellite TV 3 years ago and have an antenna.
                            We cut it too. We just have free tv and Netflix now.
                            ~ Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Permanent Temp View Post
                              Good for you! We cut out that expense 4 years ago and could not be happier it has probably saved us thousands of dollars.
                              Estimating $50 a month for 4 years would be $2400. Most ppl have HDTV these days so 4 years at $100 a month would be $4800.

We figured not having cable/satelite would allow us to our 2nd vehicle cash. And so we did.

We recently had an AT&T sales rep come by our home wanting us to spend $50 a month (for 12 months then it goes up to nearly $100/mo) for HD Uverse service. It was very tempting as I like sports - particularly basketball and football. But we just can't afford it right now with the little ones and paying down our debt/mortgage. So I just watch sports at relatives houses or get the updates through apps/internent.

I guess we're living like no one else (without cable) until we can live like no else (debt free).
                              Last edited by Eagle; 05-06-2014, 08:28 AM.
                              ~ Eagle

Comment

Working...
                              X