The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judging people by what they buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging people by what they buy

I try not to judge people when I'm in the store. If they have earned the money, then they should be able to choose what they want to spend it on, but sometimes it's ridiculous. I watched this lady buy a handbag for $12,000. I can't get my head around anyone who would be willing to pay that much for a handbag. I don't care how much money I had, there is no way I would ever pay that much. You can buy a decent car for that.

I don't think I've ever even been in a store where they sell a $12,000 handbag. I know they don't have them at Target.

Comment

They have them in Switzerland. Ask Oprah.

Comment

I always wonder how much money folks must be making to afford those purchases. Let's see. I make over $100,000 and I think the most my wife ever spent on a handbag is under $50. So if we use that ratio, the person buying the $12,000 handbag would have to be earning somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000,000 for me to consider it a reasonable purchase.

Even then, of course, I still wouldn't actually consider a $12,000 handbag to be reasonable but at least it would be affordable.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I often wonder what people must be making or must have when they shop. But, the reality is that most of those people buying those high priced items probably really can't afford them.
          Brian

Comment

Buying a $12000 handbag makes no sense to me.

But I am a car guy, and buying a $350,000 Ferrari doesnt seem too insane to me if someone has the disposable income to do so. So I see a woman buying a $12,000 handbag in the same light.....if they have the disposable income.

I am thankful that I am married to a woman who would give excess money away to those who need it before buying such an extravagant gift for herself. She makes me a better man for it.

Comment

I've always said, "guys show off with cars, girls show off with purses".

I bought this really nice sterling silver 3 carat crystal ring and wear it on my wedding finger to keep creepers from flirting with me at my work, best $15 I've ever spent. People have judged me and my importance by believing I've got this big wedding ring on. I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years and we have no plans on getting married, but we want to be partners for life. I'm tired of explaining to individuals for 5 minutes, "why get married 50% end in divorce and you risk a 3% chance of wearing a blood diamond. I'd rather spend the wedding and ring money on vacations in our life to love each other more. Does having a huge rock on your finger really make you that much more happy on a daily basis?" It does with me, people are always like, "wow that ring is gorgeous!" But they never know its fake haha. I've living the lifestyle and admiration for $15 instead of $15,000 with $14,985 more in my pocket than you, ask me again if I think I'm a happy person

Comment

I wonder if men really do take note of engagement or wedding rings.

Flipping it around, I never look to see if a man has on a ring...but then, I probably am lacking in social skills.

....Well, $12K purse owners, enjoy your tote. My $11 Walmart purse is almost worn out. I'll look for yours at Goodwill when you are finished with it.
                "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

oooh....I love handbags. The most I've ever spent was $2500 on a Versace bag a few years ago. I sold it 8 months later for $3500. I fund my vice by buying rare bags that I know are valuable and selling them for profit.

Very nice, rare handbags hold their value and often increase in value.

Comment

I dont judge people by what they buy nor do I judge them on what they wear.

The bottom line is unless you know the person directly and know their finances...you really have no idea if they can afford what they are buying or not. Its as simple as that. To say or think that a person cannot afford something is just ridiculous.

Every now and then I'll hear some of my friends who are girls making fun of someones clothes or shoes...at the same time they're complaining about how their feet are forming blisters in their nice pair of pumps. I always found it odd that looking really nice but being uncomfortable is socially accepted...whereas not dressing as nice and being REALLY comfortable is frowned upon. I like to think that deep down the nice looking uncomfortable people are just pissed off on how they're feeling that they have to make fun of someone else to justify the pain. Have fun with that.

Comment

Out of curiosity - where were you shopping that carried $12,000 handbags?

Comment

I dont know where OP was shopping...but Ive seen some crazy prices in neiman marcus. If you need a $12k handbag...they carry them and a lot more depending on how deep your pockets are.

Comment

My eyeballs tend to pop out when I see four digit price tags on hand bags in the Saks Fifth Avenue outlet. I have a hard time even imagining a five digit price tag. The bag would have to be covered in diamonds or have some historic significance or both for me to even begin to imagine how someone could pay so much. I don't think I could judge a person who bought such a handbag if I wanted to. Such an action is just too far outside my own range of experience.

Comment

Last night, I was reading the auto section in the local paper. They had a review of the new Rolls Royce Wraith. Base price is in the $250,000 range and the model tested was over $374,000.

While I can certainly appreciate that it is a very nice car, I just can't comprehend ever spending that kind of money on a car. That's nearly double what we paid for our house. No matter how much money I earned, I can't believe I would ever consider a purchase like that.
                            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I would never judge anyone by what they buy...simple as that...we do not know their situation and what makes them happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X