The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Seen on TV products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Seen on TV products

These are some of the products I've purchased;

1) vacuum food saver (approx $50). It's a good product especially for freezing meats. I'm just about breaking even using it enough times to recover my initial cost. The extra bags have to be factored into the costs as well, runs about $10 a rollout.

2) Jack Lalaine's juicer (approx $99). Another good product. I haven't used it enough to recover my cost yet. A good comination that I like is carrots, apples, and celeries (including the seeds, skins, leaves and all). A cup of freshly squeezed veggie/fruit juice is revitalizing and energizing.

3) VOIP phone (I've discussed this product in another thread and easily made my return on investment (ROI) in just a few months).

Edited to add: I would like to try the food dehydrator someday.
    Last edited by QuarterMillionMan; 12-20-2012, 07:45 PM. Reason: Edit to add

I've not seen the vacuum food saver yet, but most of those sold on TV products are often available for about 10% of the cost new, at GW or one of the Thrift stores. I got a Magic Bullet drink/smoothy maker with 4 'jars' for $ 8. We use it nearly daily for juice, sauces, salad dressing or smoothies. It's a practical gizmo

Comment

The only Seen on TV product I've gotten in the past 5 years or so was the thing to clean the inside of your car windshield. It is a microfiber cloth on a long plastic handle. I find that it works quite well and I use it regularly. One deficiency is that it comes with a little squirt bottle so you can moisten the cloth but that really isn't useful. In the winter, you can't keep it in the car because it freezes. In the summer, it is too hot and the water evaporates out of the bottle. But the cloth works just fine using it dry. It takes care of that film that builds up on the window and it doesn't leave any streaks as it cleans.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I have a FoodSaver. I didn't realize it was an "As Seen on TV" product. My mother-in-law bought it for us as a Christmas gift a few years back and occasional makes gifts of extra bags for it. I'm really not sure whether or not we save enough money on meat by buying it in bulk to recoup the costs, but we do make a lot of use of it. My husband loves to buy large quantities of meat from the butcher, and that wouldn't work as well if we couldn't bag and seal individual servings for ourselves. My husband previously owned a Reynolds Handi-Vac, which may have also been a gift from his mother, but that never worked very well, and it eventually stopped working completely.

The only As Seen on TV product I've ever bought myself was something called Heeltastic that was supposed to get rough spots off feet. I'd had rough spots on my feet for a while that refused to go away on their own, so I decided to give it a try. I'm still not sure what helped more, the product or the "free" pumice stone that came with it. But, after a couple of months of using the pumice stone and applying the product, the rough spots went away. So, I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
          The only As Seen on TV product I've ever bought myself was something called Heeltastic that was supposed to get rough spots off feet.
          Is that the thing I always refer to as a cheese grater for your feet?
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

My brother was buying those "shamwow" type cloths long before they became a hit on commercials. My parents used to have a landscaping booth at some local home and garden shows and they would have someone there doing demonstrations with those cloths. They really do absorb a ton more water than standard cloths and towels, so they're good for cleaning spills, or in my brother's case, washing and drying his car.

Comment

I don't understand the food vacuum - we just use ziplock bags.

My DH had a magic bullet once - sold it when he left college.

I'd look around for a similar product before paying the "On TV" cost - either at their store or online!

Comment

Originally posted by BMEPhDinCO View Post
                I don't understand the food vacuum - we just use ziplock bags.
                Ziplock bags don't remove the air from the bag. By sucking out most of the air, you lessen the risk of freezer burn. Something professionally vacuum sealed will last way, way longer in the freezer.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  Is that the thing I always refer to as a cheese grater for your feet?
                  Maybe... The actual Heeltastic product is just a waxy substance that softens skin. But, it comes with a pumice stone, which definitely could be called a cheese grater for your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
                    Maybe... The actual Heeltastic product is just a waxy substance that softens skin. But, it comes with a pumice stone, which definitely could be called a cheese grater for your feet.
                    No, I'm talking about a different product that actually looks like a mini cheese grater. PediEgg I think it's called or something like that.
                    Steve

Comment

1) Quick Chop (I have this also, worthless junk)
                      2) Twin Draft door guard (on my wishlist)
                      3) Bacon microwave tray
                      4) Yoshiblade or Ginsu knife
                      5) Robostir
                      6) George Foreman grill
                      7) Ronco rotisserie chicken cooker
                      8) Oveglove
                      9) One touch can opener (cuts side of can, interesting)
                      10) EZ moves wheels or fulcrum straps to move furniture
                      11) Snuggie

Comment

We have a microwave bacon tray that I've had forever. We only make vegetarian bacon now but it works fine.

We bought our daughter a Snuggie last year I think. It is fine. She doesn't really "wear" it. She mainly uses it as a throw. You can buy cheaper throws of better quality.
                        Steve

Comment

I've also seen Forman Grills at GW. I got one as a gift about 1999 and we use it a lot in winter while the BBQ Grill sits in 4 ft. of snow! It makes beautiful grill marks with no effort so even DH likes to use it. Make sure you use the drip trays to avoid counter mess as even the leanest cuts have lots of liquid.

Comment

CLR remover. Just saw this product in my bathroom cabinet. It stands for Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover. I paid $5.99 for this product. Didn't work well for me. I had major calcium build up on my chrome faucet. I found plain vinegar to work better. The acid from the vinegar dissolved the calcium for the most part and with a little scrubbing knocked off the calcium.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                              Ziplock bags don't remove the air from the bag. By sucking out most of the air, you lessen the risk of freezer burn. Something professionally vacuum sealed will last way, way longer in the freezer.
                              Ziplock (or some other brand - I am visiting relatives so I can't just go and look) has a freezer bag with a one-way valve so you seal the bag and use a small piston pump to remove the air. It works really well and can be used with bags without the valve by putting one inside the other and evacuating them.

Along those lines, a carpenter friend of mine uses really huge seal-able vacuum bags when he has complex surfaces to laminate (36 psi works well, but we are at sea level - you altitude may vary).
                              I YQ YQ R

Comment

Working...
                              X