How To Get What You Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Get What You Want?

I have been very successful in achieving almost all my goals! My success was due to using SMART goals. The acronym stands for Smart, Measurable, Attainable, Reasonable and Time frame. I used this strategy to become financially independent a long time ago at 38 years old. Have you used this strategy and were you successful? Please share your experience.

Never heard of it, but...

Never heard of SMART goals, but I'll read up on it myself. I personally have had a really hard time trying to get realistic goals in mind and make it happen. Personally, every major goal I've had in the last 10 years or so to improve my life has failed and caused me to step backwards in life. Other than pay, I feel farther behind in life than I did 10 years ago. Perhaps it can work for me too.

Comment

I'd not hear of the acronym but I've always had goals, imposed timelines and measured results. Weren't we all told if we didn't have a road map we'd never get to our destination? Will today's youngsters rely on GPS? I hope not since GPS has errors and has too much lag time for updates.

Comment

Goals are very important in order to succeed. Start off with small attainable goals and eventually you can start setting bigger goals. If you have trouble reaching goals, then try to set incentives for reaching your goal, by rewarding yourself with something meaningful.

Comment

Don't give up! You can change the outcome, but you may have to take the time to figure out what is stopping your success.

Comment

Originally posted by krantcents View Post
            I have been very successful in achieving almost all my goals! My success was due to using SMART goals. The acronym stands for Smart, Measurable, Attainable, Reasonable and Time frame. I used this strategy to become financially independent a long time ago at 38 years old. Have you used this strategy and were you successful? Please share your experience.
            I have never heard anout Smart goals. will try to follow this strategy. Thanks for sharing a nice post.

Comment

In the world of tortoises and hares, I am a tortoise.
              I do have goals, but I achieve those goals at a steady pace and put happiness before business.

Comment

I've never heard of SMART, but I guess that I do something similar in that I have a budget, I stick to it, and I have different time frames to acheive certain goals.
                Brian

Comment

SMART is not something that will make you retire at the age 38. It is basically setting up goals that are;

specific
                  measurable
                  achievable
                  realistic
                  time bound

Comment

We use the whole "SMART" goals thing at college here. I think it is commonplace here in Canada. And the first word is "specific" NOT "smart". Specific is important. We say "timely" for the last word.

Example of a SMART goal: I will achieve an A on my biology term paper this October. (Then of course you have to do the real work of putting a plan in motion to achieve this goal).

Comment

instead of reasonable, we use realistic. A goal that is reasonable may not necessarily be realistic. Or is it? I am not sure now

Comment

Yes. I was able to use a similar strategy/way of thinking, and pay off a sizeable chunk of my student loan debt (still working on the rest of it, unfortunately!).

Comment

Originally posted by alphadore View Post
                          SMART is not something that will make you retire at the age 38. It is basically setting up goals that are;

specific
                          measurable
                          achievable
                          realistic
                          time bound
                          You are right, the SMART goals gave the structure to allow me to achieve my goals.

Comment

Originally posted by DebbieL View Post
                            We use the whole "SMART" goals thing at college here. I think it is commonplace here in Canada. And the first word is "specific" NOT "smart". Specific is important. We say "timely" for the last word.

Example of a SMART goal: I will achieve an A on my biology term paper this October. (Then of course you have to do the real work of putting a plan in motion to achieve this goal).
                            You are right, I did not catch it it when I edited it. Thanks.

Comment

SMART objectives may not make you retire at 38, but it’s an objective to set your goals against and try to use it to achieve what you want to by separating your goal into the SMART heading for instance time will be by a certain date and how realistic will the goal be ect. It is a mentality to flow.

Comment

Working...
                              X