Frugal Mom's Day Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frugal Mom's Day Ideas?

I am trying to come up with some frugal ideas for mom's day this year... I've actually budgeted $40 each, but would obviously love to spend a lot less. Anyone have any good ideas? I'd love to go with something sentimental, like a photo book or something (too bad our scanner is broken...ugh!) but can't think of anything original. Coupon books and things like that are out because we live to far away......

Re: Frugal Mom's Day Ideas?

A friend of mine did a 10 (double sided for a total of 20) page photo album with captions at mypublisher.com for $15.00. You can use any pictures on your computer . . .so I guess they'd have to be digital since your scanner is broken.

Comment

We have had the grandkids put their handprints on t-shirts or sweat shirts for Grandma. We have also given her a photo album with the first few pages filled in, and then sent more photos her way later. One of her fav's was a photo calendar for 18 months that we had made at walgrens. We had photos of kids, grandkids, aunts-uncles, her childhood home in it. She still has that one hanging several years later, just to look at the photos.

Comment

One year when money was really tight. I bougth white aprons at Wal-mart and put all 3 boys foot prints on it. That was 3 yrs ago and I know they are still cherished by Nana's. Costs $10 total.

Mother's Day isn't really that frugal for us. My sister and I usually buy some play tickets for the 3 of us to go to. Usually about $50-$60.

For my MIL, she loves to read so we usually get her some new books, she also loves old movies. We get some her ones on DVD that she can enjoy as well.

Comment

I take the grankid to Walmart and get pix done. Runs ~10 for a photo package, as long as you don't let them talk you into more. The package around $10 will be all one shot. They also offer something like post cards with the picture you select quite inexpensively. Also ~$10, and last time I used a different shot than for the package and sent it off to the relatives.

Comment

I ordered 5x7s of DD at Shutterfly to give to the grandmas. One of our neighbors is a photographer and took some studio digital pictures for us, and gave them to us on a CD.

Comment

Thanks everyone! We still haven't decided what we're going to do yet, but these are all good ideas. Can't wait till we have kids of our own - so many good (i.e. sentimental) ideas for grandmas, lol!

Comment

I have some round and square pavers my girls are going to decorate for grandma's garden.
                The round ones we will paint red, with black dots and faces--lady bugs!!!
                The square ones we will paint different colors, to be bugs--you do them on the diagonal, so one corner is the head, one the rear end, and the other two corners are the tips of the wings. They make good green bugs or butterfly types.

Make sure you polyurethane the top with about 3 coats so it will hold up for several years.
                The pavers sell for $1.99 each, but the completed bugs sell at the floral shop for $25 each. We just use left over paint for previous projects.

Comment

What about putting all the pix on disc. You could also get a prepaid walmart card, and put it with the disc. they can take the disc and the card and get prints the way they want them printed. and make a lil note on the prepaid, look online to see current prices of standard size prints or something.

Comment

What we did one year was got all the kids, grandchilrend, great neices and nephews togther and did a photo shoot. My mom loved it and then we all said a few things on a cassette recorder becuase my mom is still stuck in the old days lol

Comment

hey i got tape player in my van! lol, factory stock, i dont get my van ripped that way. i get tapes with books, and the kids love it. i just bought a tape recorder so i could make some tapes for my kids of my onw too.

Comment

I am a mother...and a grandmother...and I know my kids do not have alot of money to spend...even if they did, I truly, honestly would not want them to spend alot (if any) on me.
                        I enjoy their TIME
                        I love their PICTURES (photos or drawn, painted)
                        I LOVE when they take time to write a nice, personal note (in a card or not)
                        I would enjoy waking up and having coffee made, a Sunday paper to read and maybe something homemade for brunch.
                        I would love fresh-cut wildflowers.
                        I would love a gift certificate to a homemade dinner at their home.
                        I would enjoy it if they washed my car.
                        I would like a potted plant that they started themselves.
                        Or just a day spent enjoying each other, that doesn't leave a messy kitchen. (just this once)

What I do not want:
                        To see my kids go into debt buying something because it's mother's day or birthday.

Us parents/grandparents are easy....usually a smile and a hug will do!

Comment

We do not do anything frugal on Mum's Day. That is my day for a spa, then out for great meal with my one and only two-year old son.

Comment

We tend to give cards and 'girly stuff' homemade, like milk bath, or hot coco mix.

Pre kids we did flowers, well a plant actually. I discovered that my mother moved and couldn't keep the plants, and my MIL well it added to her todo list. I certainly don't need anything for my todo list! so we switched (well that and kids cost A LOT!)

(oh this year we are possibly doing pictures, maybe turn them into magnets or window stickies.-but we have kids)

Comment

Just treasure the fact that you have mothers. I haven't, for 30 years. We don't celebrate that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X