Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frugal Idea

Here is a way to get more with less.

If there is something you buy a lot of at the supermarket, (e.g. eggs), call the distributor and see what the minimum order is. You might be able to get together with your friends and place the order yourself without paying the markup.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

that's a good idea but I have to ask my neighbors if they would like to order eggs in bulk to save money

Comment

I know people do this with olympic weight plates (for the higher end stuff.) If they get a couple tons shipped at once it does cut down on costs quite a bit...then again each person is usually dropping a grand or two.

Not sure about eggs or other food items. That stuff is already cheap enough so doubt you could get much in savings.

Comment

My local grocery store has sales a couple times a month where I can get eggs for $.99/dozen. Maybe if I owned a bakery I would want to get that cost down some, but this price seems reasonable enough for me.

Comment

Eggs are only an example, when I find a deal on something I'm in the market for I will buy it in bulk and sell on eBay, I can make money and essentially get myself the item for free
          retired in 2009 at the age of 39 with less than 300K total net worth

Comment

When I need to buy something in bulk I shop at Costco. I would imagine the quantity would have to be really high in order to get a significant discount. Although I suppose it would be worth it if you are going to turn around and resell it at a profit.

Comment

If you are into mutton, my friends and I share a whole sheep per sae and then get it packaged via a butcher. If you have a big enough freezer and a good plan, you get your multi-month worth of meat in one go. I usually end up getting 20-30% off wholesale further.
              Trying to round up for one cow.. that's a lot of friends though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
                If you are into mutton, my friends and I share a whole sheep per sae and then get it packaged via a butcher. If you have a big enough freezer and a good plan, you get your multi-month worth of meat in one go. I usually end up getting 20-30% off wholesale further.
                Trying to round up for one cow.. that's a lot of friends though.
                I suppose a cow would be a huge amount for one person, but we used to buy 1/4 and 1/2 cows from a rancher for my 3 person family and it wasn't that much. A 1/2 cow can easily fit in a small/medium chest freezer, especially if you choose more ground beef than roasts.

Comment

Working...
                X