The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

5 lb containers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5 lb containers

    Hello,
    I was looking around for containers to free up space in my tiny pantry. I had liked Anchor Hocking 2.5 qt glass bottles but I filled one took it home and realized its too heavy to use unless I put it on the counter which doesn't have enough space.

    Does anyone else store their 5lb bag flour, sugar etc in 2.5 qt containers? Are there any which are reasonable priced but practical? I looked into the OXO ones that pop but it in my research turns out they only hold their seal for about 2 years and then they don't plus they are super expensive.

    I need it to be practical to lift in and out of the pantry not super expensive, cap to 11 or less a container and I need four of them. Anyone got any suggestions?

  • #2
    I suggest checking with staff at any large grocery store with an on-site bakery for their emptied Icing tubs. These are sturdy food quality pails with snap on lids that likely fit in your pantry's shelf. [take a tape measure] Our store gives them and the giant ones for 50 lbs. pails for free. They have an easy to use handle, and likely need a scoop to transfer flour or sugar to the daily use sugar bowl or small quantity for flour to use for roux for example. I use a re-purposed, plastic Peanut Butter jar for that purpose, it is the same size as a container of Cornstarch or Tapioca powder. I know from experience that an ice cream bucket doesn't work because the handle can't tolerate 5 lbs. [can you guess how I learned that?]
    Last edited by snafu; 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ha, this is the kind of container I told FrugalFish that I had bought of at a charity store. Pretzels were probably sold in it originally. It's clear plastic.

      I also have three like it from Rubbermaid, except that the plastic is translucent white. They are upright rectangular, thus store compactly. There is a large indentation on one side for grasping by the hand. They have screw top lids rather than friction seal lids. One of them has a domed lid, but I prefer the ones with the flat lid because I end up putting things on top of them in my cabinet.

      Looked briefly on amazon and did not see the product, sorry.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

      "It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

      Comment

      Working...
      X