Cutting the Starbucks habit -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting the Starbucks habit -

A few months I gave up the daily (sometimes twice) starbucks habit. Now I bring coffee from home, or buy the $1 coffee at the deli down the road. I treat myself once a week to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

I'm saving about $30 a week....thats almost $400 in a little over 3 months. Holy crap! enough for a spring weekend getaway or a 3 months of phone bills.

Has anyone else done the Coffee budget diet?

The Starbucks ilk tastes too burnt, strong, and sometimes acidic for me. So no, I have never had to address that habit.

It's great that you've found an easy way to save so much. I'm thinking that if you still want to save more, you could look at those phone bills next, as $400 for three months of phone calls sounds high to me.
    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

I pay $140 for one month with two cell phones, so it does not sound that high to me! we do have smart phones, though, so they cost more. Kudos to your for cutting the Starbucks habit.

I had to cut that habit when I got out of college a while back, by limiting how many times per week I went there. Kids spend a lot of time studying in coffee shops, so this was very hard for me at first. However, I easily saved about $60/month by cutting this out.

You might try frequenting local coffee shops, as these are often cheaper and can send you deals via text messages for MUCH better tasting and cheaper drinks than Starbucks. Sometimes, I get drinks for $1-2 at these places.

The important thing is, you have already saved money by cutting that habit down to once a week! Congratulations on that!

Comment

I'm addicted to coffee/caffeine as well. I did stop my daily spending habit on that... I also bring coffee tow ork now too - we conviently have a coffee maker in our little kitchentte - AND we get the Dunkin Donuts coffee beans!!!! Yummy!!!!

Comment

In 2006 I spent $1,250 in Starbucks (work days)
          In 2007 I spent $1,125 in Starbucks (work days)

$2,375 is rediculous!

2008 I spent $0
          2009 I spent $0
          2010 I spent $0
          2011 I spent $3.95 Last week during (I was off last Friday)

I saved approx $3500 in the last 3.2 years

I made a concious effort to cut back on coffee intake and just brewed coffee from home.
          Got debt?
          www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

Good work! I recently gave up coffee all together and am only drinking green tea from tea bags, no sugar. It was rough at first but I feel soooo much better now, physically, and it's much easier on my wallet.

Comment

True that. It is not very necessary for us to keep going back to starbucks for the fancy coffee in those paper cups just because we can spend. But it will be better to save the money used to buy super expensive coffee that you can drink from home.

Comment

Originally posted by savinggirl View Post
                A few months I gave up the daily (sometimes twice) starbucks habit. Now I bring coffee from home, or buy the $1 coffee at the deli down the road. I treat myself once a week to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

I'm saving about $30 a week....thats almost $400 in a little over 3 months. Holy crap! enough for a spring weekend getaway or a 3 months of phone bills.

Has anyone else done the Coffee budget diet?
                I think sometimes we just need to step back and take alook at our 'habits', well done for saving that amount.

Comment

Yeah, I was doing a similar thing too a few years back. I had to accept the fact that I didn't actually like their coffee and their espresso drinks were loaded with sugar.

There are a lot of habits like "Starbucks" that people have. When we have time we go to specialty coffee shops and we get a pound of coffee. It's a little pricey for a pound but our coffee cost is 33 cents per day!

Comment

I just figured out how much MONEY I've spent over the course of the past 10 years at Starbucks! It is completely pathetic!!

Comment

I just found out yesterday if I buy a basic cup of Tazo Rooibos tea at Starbucks, I can make a much better and cheaper tea latte at home. I added my own sugar and milk, and saved about two bucks.

Comment

Never even tried Starbucks - it's way too expensive for me. If I loved Starbucks coffee I would invest in a home brewing machine that can make it like they do....maybe source it from Ebay or craigslist or some coffee house that just went under.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCFree View Post
                          I just figured out how much MONEY I've spent over the course of the past 10 years at Starbucks! It is completely pathetic!!

Curious to know how $$ pathetic?
                          Got debt?
                          www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

Hey there! Starbucks is a fun place for me to stop and get a treat every once and a while, but thankfully I don't really like the taste of coffee and I don't go often. I definitely will splurge for one of their Chai Teas or their Carmel Frappaccinnos, however.

Anyway, instead of spending $3-5 a pop, I joined swagbucks and now I can redeem the points I used for Starbucks giftcards. I don't quite have an addiction, but it's definitely a way for me to get a FREE beverage every now and then.

Comment

I really like Starbucks coffee. But I rarely buy it at the coffee shop. I get it at Costco and grind it myself. Occasionally there will be coupons and Safeway or CVS (this week actually) will run it on sale, 12 oz for 7.99 or 6.99, and I will buy it ground. Costco's latest coupon book has $4.50 off Starbucks coffee, I think it is 2 pounds. We usually buy 4-5 bags and that lasts until they have a coupon again. We are on our last bag now, but it was supplemented with a few ground bags. We have a food sealer so we put it in the cannisters and seal the coffee so it stays fresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X