Cheap Vacation Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Vacation Ideas

So I was thinking about going on a vacation before I went back to school and was wondering what sort of tips you may have to make a vacation fun but not spending a lot at the same time.

Well, what do you love to do that doesn't require spending? Do you have any funds in your vacation budget?

Comment

Camping always seems cost effective - even more so if you already own camping gear or can borrow it.

Comment

I'm not sure your situation, but my husband and I did a "staycation" recently where we saw local sights, ate at great restaurants, were completely at our leisure and didn't pay hotel costs. Just a thought.

Comment

Yeah, I have some funds. I was thinking no more than about $150. Camping is a good alternative, we have a mtn here that is always about 20 degrees cooler, the problem I have with that is they even charge money to stay overnight, money to fish, and extra money if you want to park. I'm thinking if I am going to live outdoors for a few days, I think I should be able to do it for free. I shouldnt have to pay "rent," haha. Usually when we go up the mountain we just stay for a few hours and head back. The staycation sounds cool, you still get to sleep in your comfy bed but get to see the parts of your town you would probably never go see.

Comment

I think, with your budget, eileen1's idea of the staycation is the best route. You will be hard pressed to find a hotel as nice as your own home that will not cost more than $150 for a week, let alone other expenses. If you are going to stay home, resist the urge to be frugal. Eat well, enjoy some fun activities around your cities.

Comment

Camping is always good, you don't have to travel far for it to be a vacation. There are many places you probably haven't seen that are in your area.

Comment

I suggest that you can go to the country which is not far away from your home , it will spend little money .

Comment

If you want to live in luxury but not spend luxury, go to India or Thailand or Vietnam. You can find posh spots, but you will be surrounded by poverty. The most expensive thing is the flight itself.

Comment

As a traveler myself I have definitely noticed a huge difference in the way people travel... I tend to enjoy traveling backpacker style, staying in youth hostels, not because I can't afford anything more, but because of the experiences. The summer after college I flew to Frankfurt with a 1 month eurail pass and spent the next 5 weeks traveling up to Norway and down to Italy. Switzerland was ridiculously expensive... I think I lost weight there but gained it back in the Czech republic.

India was expensive to fly there, but cheap when I got there... spent 3 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, India, and the day to day costs were pretty darn cheap.

I agree with the rationale that you should fly to closer places... I flew to Lima for ~600$ RT (helps to live in the southern part of the US) and that was quite cheap... the Inca trail hike was probably one of the most expensive parts of the trip.

But it was relatively cheap to get there.

Costa Rica is another cheap flight idea... of course there were so many Americans down there that it felt kind of fake. But we rented a car and drove around, and I felt had a good experience.

Anyway, the main question you have to ask yourself, is, "What do I plan on getting out of my travels? Am I travelling to relax, and get away from it all, or to experience the culture/get new experiences?"

I personally travel for the latter reason, and would rather spend 10$ for a youth hostel overnight rather than 100$ for a stuffy hotel. To me, it isn't important to see the big tourist sights, but to meet the locals, and get out of your comfort zone a bit.

Also, when you travel to just check things off (so you can say "Yeah, I saw the Eiffel Tower. Check") then I don't believe that it really changes you much.

On the other hand (at least for me) if you really spend time meeting the locals, talking to other people at the youth hostels, and maybe missing one or two of the major tourist sites, you will get a much richer experience, imo.

g

Comment

Surround yourself with a completely different crowd!
                      (a) go to art gallery receptions - there are usually wine and h'ors doeurves and amazing conversation. The art world is full of thinkers outside the box.

(b) go on an excursion with Sierra Club (not an overnight) or Audobon. Both are completely different yet want to help the world. It is not an unworthy goal. If you think bird watching is sissy, omgosh are you going to be surprised. You will be caught up in the competition to 'check off' sightings.

(c) Volunteer - with any local non profit from the food bank to the police department. Just pick a place and spend a day.

None of this costs much but pays back many-fold.

Comment

how long do you have for vacation? it's an important piece of information you forgot to tell us.

Comment

Pretend that you're a tourist in your own town and ask local hotels and tourist guides about current attractions. You'd be surprised what your town/city has to offer.

Comment

Ways to Save Money

These are a few of my favorites.

1.My number one advice is to visit Family or Friends.
                            2.Because we have 6 in our family,when not staying at relatives, I also like to rent a house rather than a hotel suite. Keeps everyone sane and costs less if you stay a week.
                            3.Drive Instead of flying: If we can drive there in 12 hours or less,driving is an easy decision.

Comment

Working...
                            X