I have a crocheted afghan that has been folded in an empty room that was not dusted for --A YEAR--! The afghan is very dusty. I want to clean it, but it is a huge one made by my son's great grandmother who has passed on. So it stirs sentiment and we want to keep it nice. It is so big I have to take it to a laundromat to use the super large machines, even though my home washer takes oversize loads. But washing an afghan is hard on it, so I'm trying to get by with just knocking the dust out of it without agitating it in water.
If it were not raining I'd take it outdoors and hang it on the line to shake and beat it the way people used to do rugs. Then I'd leave it to freshen in the breeze and sunshine.
I have a large dryer. Do you think running it on "air fluff," with no heat would be sufficient to work the dust out?
Any other suggestions for how to to de-dust this afghan? I can't vacuum it.
If it were not raining I'd take it outdoors and hang it on the line to shake and beat it the way people used to do rugs. Then I'd leave it to freshen in the breeze and sunshine.
I have a large dryer. Do you think running it on "air fluff," with no heat would be sufficient to work the dust out?
Any other suggestions for how to to de-dust this afghan? I can't vacuum it.

My husband's grandmother made it when she was in the early stages of dementia. As part of her dementia, she had a compulsion to do the same "helpful" things over and over and over. And she really wanted to help, to be useful. Like, she made a huge pile of all-the same cloth items for her church altar ,always convinced that there was a great need that she could barely keep up with from day to day. It was an item where only a half dozen or so were needed, but she could not stop making them. This afghan was made during a period when she had been steered away from that activity, but she was similarly frantic and compulsive about making afghans.
I kept it draining there overnight and will carry it to the washer today to spin it out some. Then I think I can line dry it in the basement.
) and I'm always washing one of her several blankies. I usually wash them on gentle & dry them on low or air dry them over a chair ect. Never had any problems yet and I'm usually washing a few of them a week. I've got ones from my childhood that I wash in the same manor & they being 20-30yrs old are still kick'n
Comment