This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming in pee!

Results are out from new findings on how to calculate % of pee in swimming pools, here's a couple of excerpts from the article

The scientists calculated that one 220,000-gallon, commercial-size swimming pool contained almost 20 gallons of urine. In a residential pool (20-by-40-foot, five-feet deep), that would translate to about two gallons of pee. It's only about one-hundredth of a percent, but any urine in a swimming pool can be a health concern for some people, not to mention that smell that never quite goes away.

Researchers monitored two public pools for three weeks for ACE. One pool contained 110,000 gallons of water, while the other held 220,000 gallons.

Based on the ACE measurements, researchers estimate that over the 3-week period, swimmers released 7.92 gallons of pee into the smaller pool, and nearly 20 gallons into the larger one.
    retired in 2009 at the age of 39 with less than 300K total net worth

Comment

I realize this is the "everything else" category but can we at least try to make it "everything else of a financial nature"?
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Sorry, I just found it interesting and thought I'd share

Comment

Although it could lead to some sort of expense

Comment

Originally posted by 97guns View Post
            I'm trying to think of something in life to which the above statement does not apply...

Comment

Originally posted by 97guns View Post
              I suppose if you are the pool owner, you need to pay for the chemicals and stuff to keep the water up to code, but that's true no matter what.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

97 take a break from your computer...you're on a downward spiral with your last few posts.

Comment

Guys - to tie this back to money, it still cheaper to go to a public pool. Having a private swimming pool on your own property is very, very expensive.

For example, you need to buy treatment chemicals for the water, pay for the water, buy accessories, buy a pool cover, pay for maintenance on the stone work, deal with increased insurance costs, etc.

All this adds up thousands of dollars worth of additional expenses.
                  james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                    Guys - to tie this back to money, it still cheaper to go to a public pool. Having a private swimming pool on your own property is very, very expensive.

For example, you need to buy treatment chemicals for the water, pay for the water, buy accessories, buy a pool cover, pay for maintenance on the stone work, deal with increased insurance costs, etc.

All this adds up thousands of dollars worth of additional expenses.
                    But you only have to swim in your own pee

Comment

Storm - that's why they have chlorine in those pools. Chlorine kills microorganisms and neutralizes bacteria. Public pools are safe man. Plus that figure in the article is just an estimate, not all pools are the same/.

Whats your choice? Pay $3,000 + dollars a year for your own pool or $5 dollars admission to a public pool? Its obvious, most people will pay the $5 bucks.
                      Last edited by james.hendrickson; 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM. Reason: punctuation.

Comment

Storm - that's why they have chlorine in those pools. Chlorine kills microorganisms and neutralizes bacteria. Public pools are safe man. Plus that figure in the article is just an estimate, not all pools are the same/.

Whats your choice? Pay $3,000 + dollars a year for your own pool or $5 dollars admission to a public pool? Its obvious, most people will pay the $5 bucks.
                        There are a lot of reports that suggest otherwise regarding the safety. Personally, I don't let it bother me and do use the pool at the gym several days a week. But still, there are studies that dispute your statement.

Sue, aka Storm, Richards

Comment

Originally posted by StormRichards View Post
                          There are a lot of reports that suggest otherwise regarding the safety. Personally, I don't let it bother me and do use the pool at the gym several days a week. But still, there are studies that dispute your statement.

Sue, aka Storm, Richards
                          Storm, I did a quick search on this point. Yes, chlorine can interact with human body fluids (sweat, etc.), but the risk seems to be low, substantially lower than say, smoking or risk of car accidents.

So, from a safety expense standpoint, with such a low risk, consumers would not be justified in purchasing their own pools.

Comment

Storm, I did a quick search on this point. Yes, chlorine can interact with human body fluids (sweat, etc.), but the risk seems to be low, substantially lower than say, smoking or risk of car accidents.

So, from a safety expense standpoint, with such a low risk, consumers would not be justified in purchasing their own pools.
                            There are a lot more variables that come into play than just the cost of the public pool vs installing your own. Drive time, gas expense and hours of operation to name a few.

The community pool for my area is very inconvenient to our house. If I were to take my daughter swimming after work on a hot summer day, I would have to fight through rush hour traffic to get there. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic is never a good use of time as far as I am concerned.

We do not own a pool or intend on having one installed, but I understand that this isn't a simple $ to $ cost analysis.

Comment

Seriously, this is a post for facebook, not a financial forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X