Announcement

Collapse

Happy Thanksgiving - Stock Markets Are Closed

Happy Thanksgiving!

The stock markets in the United States will be closed on December 25th, 2021, in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
See more
See less

Looking to dig myself out... School me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to dig myself out... School me!

First time poster. Looking for some advice before I make any further mistakes.

Quick summary: I was an international student in the United States and my tuition to a state college here was paid for privately in my home country. During my last semester, a change of circumstances basically left me high and dry and with a $15,000 tab for semester tuition. I had essentially no chance of paying this off, as I was not able to legally work, between visas that allowed me to work. I was able to get odd jobs here and there that were able to pay my rent, food, utilities, but it left literally nothing to pay off any of that debt.

I didnít think I had a chance to do anything positive about it, so I just never responded to the University, and then any collection agencies. Not by mail or phone. This has been going on since 2015. I have been uncertain until 2018 that I could stay in the United States, so I also did not want to contribute any money to a debt that might be essentially irrelevant to me if I had to move back home to the other side of the world forever.

In 2018 my situation has changed, and I am now able to legally work and remain in the US. I probably will be here for the rest of my life. Right now I will make between $75-100k this year before taxes. I want to clean any debt off my record, as it has plagued my credit score (though this does not seem to have been a hindrance at all in my life), and I fear that one day I will be taken to court over it. Also I want to no longer fear unknown numbers on my phone. A peace of mind.

Recently the current company that has the debt contacted me by mail saying they have reviewed my case and are asking if I will do a payment plan of $100 a month. This sounds like a pretty good offer to me, and I would probably make substantial payments above that, and it would also stop collection activity according to the letter. Again the debt is about $15,000.

Bear in mind I have not ever had a single contact with a debt collector over this debt in the three years I have had it. I know there's like a 7 year limit or something right, but itís an education debt from a public university so it wont go away right? Should I take the $100 per month offer? Or is there a better way? Is it realistic I could get sued for this one day? Could I negotiate terms?

I tried to keep this short and to the point so if there are more details needed please ask. I am a complete novice at this game and any help or guidance will be appreciated. I want to do the right thing, but I want to do it at least somewhat informed.

Regardless of whether or not you have this debt, you should:
    1. Know where all your money goes.
    2. Live below your means. Don't go clubbing, eat so much fast, take-out & junk food, etc.
    3. Make a monthly budget (not oppressive, just a plan).
    4. Follow the budget.
      restaurant, etc, cell phone game stuff, etc.
    5. Build a cash reserve.
    6. Save for the future.

Once you do this, you see how much money you have left at the end of the month for debts. (Because $15,000 at $100/month would take 12+ years.)

BTW, what's the interest rate and current balance on that loan?

Comment

Before you do anything find out exactly who is holding this debt. Offer a settlement, say 50 cents on the dollar, and make sure you get everything in writing.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Ice View Post
        I will make between $75-100k this year
        I think the first thing you need to do is figure out how much you will actually be earning. There is a huge difference between 75K and 100K. And if you base your budget on 75K but actually make 100K, getting rid of 15K in debt should be a snap.

The next thing to figure out is your monthly budget. How much are you spending? Even at a 75K income, you should be able to clear up 15K in debt faster than $100/month.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Hey disney steve,

Thanks for the response and help.

The problem is my pay is 100% performance based. Commission only. That $75-100k is a conservative estimate based on what I have done, and what is in the pipeline.

I do not seem to be gaining any interest on this debt. It appears to be at the exact same monetary number is has been for years. The reason I am posting here is I know it has to be dealt with, I just want to do it the smartest possible way.

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
            Before you do anything find out exactly who is holding this debt. Offer a settlement, say 50 cents on the dollar, and make sure you get everything in writing.
            Some collection company out of Illinois I believe. Are you saying I should literally offer half the amount owed, in writing, and see what they say?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Ice View Post
              Some collection company out of Illinois I believe. Are you saying I should literally offer half the amount owed, in writing, and see what they say?
              Verbally offer it, and if they say "yes", get their confirmation in writing.

Comment

Working...
              X