Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just received $51.06 collection bill from Convergent. Worried. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received $51.06 collection bill from Convergent. Worried. Any tips?

Hi thanks for reading this. On 1/19/2017 I received a letter from Convergent stating I owe them $51.06. I'm worried sick for a few reasons:

-I'm a loser, aged 30, and my mom has taken steps to help me improve my credit score to the degree that I could get a small home loan some day.

-As I was just moving out of my apartment back into my parent's house, my mom said "MAKE SURE you pay the electric bill".

-So I called Ever-source, and the nice lady on the phone said "your final bill will be deducted 1/12/16, and then we'll shut your electricity."
    Cool. Account closed.

-I saw Ever-source deducted 130 from my bank account. I assumed all went well, and that the final entire balance was paid.

-A few weeks ago I see I'm getting a bill from Eversource for 51 bucks. Being busy with school, being busy in my own depressed head, I just put it off like I do everything. I'm lost...deeply lost person.

-I had/have plenty of cash to pay this off. I just never did. Now I have this piece of mail from Eversource and I'm not sure how to process this. Being that this Convergent mail is dated 1/19/2017, is there a chance that it has not yet been reported to a credit bureau?

I understand that nuisance debt under 100 dollars doesn't affect my credit score per se, but it shows up and affects how mortgage lenders feel, which is quite frankly the only reason I care about my credit score. I have to finish out school, maintain my decent score and get a house. I can't live at home anymore, it's just pathetic.

And plus, my mom looks at my credit score, not me, so if she sees this after warning me, she will be utterly pissed, rightfully so. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here. Am I supposed to employ the pay-for deletion tactic? Am I not at that point yet? Should I try to contact the original creditor, who in this case is Eversource? I'm very overwhelmed, and in over my head. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Best advice is to just pay the bill and be done with it. You said you have the money so stop stressing and get rid of it.

The only way to know if it has been reported to the credit bureaus is to check your credit report.
    Originally posted by NorthernLights View Post
    my mom looks at my credit score, not me
    It's nice that your mom is helping you, but that's no reason why you can't look at your own report. Go to annualcreditreport.com and you can get one free report from each of the 3 bureaus each year.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Is there any chance that you are being charged in error, perhaps for the tenant who moved in after you?

Personally, I would call Eversource and ask them what the charge is for and why it just showed up now when you thought that the final payment of $130 settled everything.

If it turns out that Eversource made an error, I'd definitely follow up by checking my credit report and if anything negative shows up from Eversource, I'd stay on top of them until they corrected it.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        Best advice is to just pay the bill and be done with it. You said you have the money so stop stressing and get rid of it.

The only way to know if it has been reported to the credit bureaus is to check your credit report.

It's nice that your mom is helping you, but that's no reason why you can't look at your own report. Go to annualcreditreport.com and you can get one free report from each of the 3 bureaus each year.
        Well i could look on my report today, see it's not reported, pay the bill now, and then find that a month later it shows up. I don't know if they've already submitted this to the credit bureaus or how long it takes for it to show up. I'm not in the know on these things.

If they have, then it might be better for me to try to negotiate instead of simply paying the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
          Is there any chance that you are being charged in error, perhaps for the tenant who moved in after you?

Personally, I would call Eversource and ask them what the charge is for and why it just showed up now when you thought that the final payment of $130 settled everything.

If it turns out that Eversource made an error, I'd definitely follow up by checking my credit report and if anything negative shows up from Eversource, I'd stay on top of them until they corrected it.
          It's possible, but it was my fault for not dealing with it when it came up. I could have asked questions a few weeks ago, but I chose to blow it off like i blow everything off. I wasn't supposed to make this stupid of a mistake.

Comment

It's possible, but it was my fault for not dealing with it when it came up. I could have asked questions a few weeks ago, but I chose to blow it off like i blow everything off. I wasn't supposed to make this stupid of a mistake.
            OK. Well, may I suggest that you not compound the problem further by delaying longer? Is their customer service open today? Can you call them now? I think you'll feel better once you know more and have a plan.

Comment

I called Convergent today, left a message. Called three times. I'm assuming they're closed. Will they be able to tell me if they've reported this to the credit bureaus yet?

If they say they have, what should I say to them?

I didn't bother to call Eversource because it seems they've passed this bill on, plus they're also closed weekends. Thanks

Comment

I didn't bother to call Eversource because it seems they've passed this bill on, plus they're also closed weekends. Thanks
                I still think it's important to know if this charge really is your responsibility or not. Do you have time on Monday to call Eversource?

Comment

Absolutely I can call anytime any day.

Comment

Working...
                  X