Five years ago, I could not find a decent job, so I left the U.S. I still was not making enough to pay my bills - have about $25K in credit cards - so have not paid them in the past 5 years. I recently checked my credit score and found that my debt has been sold, each card to a different company. One company sent me a letter informing me that I could pay off my debt for about 1/6 of the face value.
That sounds appealing to me. This has hung over my head for so many years. I now have some money to address the issue. I am looking for two things:
1. A check off list on how to proceed with this company to pay off my debt, so that I don't get shafted.
2. General advice on how to proceed.
Thanks!
That sounds appealing to me. This has hung over my head for so many years. I now have some money to address the issue. I am looking for two things:
1. A check off list on how to proceed with this company to pay off my debt, so that I don't get shafted.
2. General advice on how to proceed.
Thanks!

Do these companies have access to my credit rating? I am also afraid that if I pay off one now and then wait until next year to pay off the second one, the second one will not be so willing to negotiate for such a low rate if they know that I have already paid of half of the total credit card debt, i.e. may think that they can get more $$ from me.
Comment