Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collector Filed Suit, Looking for advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collector Filed Suit, Looking for advice!

A debt collector served a summons to my home address.

They are looking to collect 4900$ plus fees and 10% intetest

They claim they're looking for 6600$ approx.

I called to offer 2000$ 1 time pay but the lowest they went was 4127$ one time...

Considering I have 30 days to respond to the court summons, what are my options?

They said if I was looking for a lesser amount I would have to send 3 months of bank statements and have their attorney review it.

Any help is appreciated!!

What is the debt from? How old are they? Who was the original holder of the debt?

Debt collectors typically buy debts for pennies on the dollar. Get an attorney and offer 10 cents on the dollar or some other low ball amount. If you have representation they will probably take the offer.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
      What is the debt from? How old are they? Who was the original holder of the debt?

Debt collectors typically buy debts for pennies on the dollar. Get an attorney and offer 10 cents on the dollar or some other low ball amount. If you have representation they will probably take the offer.

First National Bank of Omaha owned the debt originally.
      It is a revolving account. According to them the account was delinquent since 2010 (not sure if they can lie about this detail to hide the SOL and scare me with a civil case via filing and serving me papers) what would an attorney cost me in this situation

Comment

Originally posted by exitstagedebt View Post
        First National Bank of Omaha owned the debt originally.
        It is a revolving account. According to them the account was delinquent since 2010 (not sure if they can lie about this detail to hide the SOL and scare me with a civil case via filing and serving me papers) what would an attorney cost me in this situation

I'm not sure what an attorney would cost. It varies greatly. You will have to shop around.

But I'm curious as to why you don't know the details of the debt. The collector says that it has been delinquent since 2010. Can you attest to that? Is this debt not yours? Or, do you honestly not remember what it's from?
        Brian

Comment

I dont remember the date I stopped paying. Other than that I know that the debt is mine. How likely is it that the collector would rather continue to trial than just settle?

Thanks again for helping me out!

Comment

The last quote I got on a debt settlement was $750. That was about two years ago. If your income is lower you can sometimes find attorneys who work on a sliding scale.

Comment

My only points are to please NOT furnish them with anything along the lines that they have asked, knowledge is power, so don't give any to them. Not to mention with your bank statements there is a possibility they could tap your account.

It is rather odd the way that you laid out that the collector served a court summons. Typically that would come either registered mail or by a court process server. Are you sure you didn't get "served" with a slick-worded piece threatening court action that appears official?

Comment

A process server will typically deliver the summons to your house. BTDT

Comment

Working...
                X