No announcement yet.

Am I being too aggressive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the consolidation. That is GREAT!!

Comment

I would agree you should start saving for retirement, even if it's a very small percentage each paycheck. I'm 24, and have a lot of student loan debt as well (double my salary in loans), and I'm contributing only 3% each paycheck for retirement, and it's set to go up by 1% each year. It's not a lot, for sure, but it's something. I can increase it later when I can.

Anyway, for your debt, I would say that's not at all aggressive. It can be difficult, so if financial situations arise where you can't meet your goal each month, don't stress out about it too much, just get back to it the next month. It's really smart that you're realizing you'd like to pay down this debt fast while you're still young, instead of letting it hinder for the next 25 years and paying double the amount back in interest.

Even though you can get by without a car (great job), still try to cut back on your eating out, and other expenses where you can. With that kind of debt, the bigger gap you can make between your expenses and income the better, and the faster you can pay down debt. Start the process of thinking that you can enjoy a lot out of life living on very little, living frugally. For example, I'm moving to a much smaller apartment with half the rent and half the amenities, but in return, I'm able to consistently pay more towards my loans, resulting in less stress, and go on a couple mini-vacations throughout the year which I could have not otherwise afforded -- life experiences that were a lot more fun that have a volleyball court at my complex that I never used!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKayla View Post
        still try to cut back on your eating out, and other expenses where you can.
        I phoned my cable company and they reduced my monthly fee by reducing internet speed. they said with boosting I am able to open sites just as fast. all accounts have teh boost feature. that is a savings of about $250.00 a year. they didn't want to lose me as a customer.

Comment

I would reduce student loans ASAP. You are bleeding money away to the man.

My suggestion would be to "go frugal" for a YEAR. Document it, somehow have fun with it, see how far you can take it. Get your gf to go in with u or at least understand and be supportive.

With your income you could take a huge dent out of that financial blood loss if you go frugal for a year. I'm sure there are some videos on Youtube or stories on Dave Ramsey.

Time passed by quickly, use the frugal time to better yourself at something that doesn't require money or take a moonlighting job to stay on clock as much as possible.

Comment

Here ya go...

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/24959...tcmp=obnetwork

You don't have to live in a van, but you should do something similar to what he did for approximately one year. And like he did, keep a diary on it.

Comment

thanks for posting the link to the news story

Comment

Originally posted by alternativegirl View Post
                I phoned my cable company and they reduced my monthly fee by reducing internet speed. they said with boosting I am able to open sites just as fast. all accounts have teh boost feature. that is a savings of about $250.00 a year. they didn't want to lose me as a customer.

Niiicee -- it's awesome that you could find something that isn't even going to really effect you're every day life as well, while still saving.

Comment

Working...
                X