Tax Leins and Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Leins and Student Loans

Can anyone tell me where to look to get rid of student loans that I haven't repaid in 15 yrs?

1. Look at how much you owe.
    2. Pay what you owe.
    3. You have successfully gotten rid of student loans.

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Comment

Student Loans don't fall off your credit report like most other things. You can't remove them. If you have used up all of your deferments then you have to pay or your tax refunds will be taken. I graduated in 98 and deferred until last year when I had to start paying. So 14 years. My loans were not too bad though only a little over 4k my payment is under 160 a month which is low compared to some other people. Who is your loan with?

Comment

You deferred your student loan for 14 years? Did I read that right?

Comment

Something about student loans that no one ever really mentions is that student loan debt will stay on your credit forever. Even if you declare bankruptcy. Also wages can be garnished by creditors years after the loans has been in default status.

Good submissions everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by siggy_freud View Post
            You deferred your student loan for 14 years? Did I read that right?
            Just saw this but yes I did. Completed A.A. in 1998. Usually would call sallie mae in december or january and get a deferment sometimes a financial hardship one and 1 year I went back to school which covered 2 tax years. A few years ago they limited how many times you could do each kind of deferment. I used my last one last year and started paying it in august. I knew about them taking tax refunds because my mom lost 3 or 4 years of refunds. My loan was only 4000 so if I had been smart at the time I would have just paid off my student loan with the refunds.

Comment

So that loan wasn't getting any bigger over 14 years?

I just can't imagine having such a manageable debt hanging over me for so many years... Wasn't it harder to keep track of your deferrals every year than it would have been to actually pay the thing?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBadger View Post
                So that loan wasn't getting any bigger over 14 years?

I just can't imagine having such a manageable debt hanging over me for so many years... Wasn't it harder to keep track of your deferrals every year than it would have been to actually pay the thing?
                What is manageable to you would depend on your life circumstances. I don't know, or assume to know any of your situation. For me there are limited times over the years when I would have been ok financially to pay on it. But for the most part not really. The loans have grown some but only a couple of hundred max. I think that over the years I have changed. My thinking on personal finance quite a bit and can only wish I had made better choices from the beginning. Now I view this student loan as something I need to pay but yes I did put it off as long as possible.

Comment

Student loan becomes very hectic na.

Comment

Working...
                  X