Help for a College Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a College Student

Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this.

My name is Jon and I'm a college student living in off campus housing because my school which is The New York City College of Technology doesn't have on campus housing. My situation is complicated an I was hoping for some advice from anyone. I currently owe my school close to $3,000 and to add to that I also won't be able to register for this semester until this is paid. This brings me to my next problem which is the fact that I use the money from the financial aid to pay for my student housing which is $11,025. I've tried private loans,but that's not going to happen. The student housing company which is EHS (Education Student Housing) is trying to work with me, but I can't even afford the monthly payment plan. I'm unemployed an don't have much experience because I'm 20.

Any advice or tips for my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Why can't you get private loans? Do you not have someone willing to co-sign?

Sounds like you need to put some serious effort into getting a part time job. Being able to show you have income would help to pay the bills, but also possible help you qualify for private loans. Tutor, walk dogs, wait tables. Anything to bring in some money. Your school should have a financial aid office, I would think. You should sit down with them as well and see if they can help you. Maybe they have resources that would be able to find more financial aid for you?

Comment

I agree with breathemusic -- a part-time job in your situation is vital. $3,000/semester for spring and fall is absolutely doable with part-time jobs, especially if you work through the summer and use that to supplement what you make during the regular terms.

Am I understanding correctly that you can't enroll for this term (which starts in just a few days) until you've paid CUNY the $3,000? Have you visited the financial aid office to ask if there are hardship grants/scholarships available?

Comment

have you tried prosper.com? i think its a site that allows you to apply for private loans from other people - if you have good credit, it might be a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by jhutcherson4 View Post
          Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this.

My name is Jon and I'm a college student living in off campus housing because my school which is The New York City College of Technology doesn't have on campus housing. My situation is complicated an I was hoping for some advice from anyone. I currently owe my school close to $3,000 and to add to that I also won't be able to register for this semester until this is paid. This brings me to my next problem which is the fact that I use the money from the financial aid to pay for my student housing which is $11,025. I've tried private loans,but that's not going to happen. The student housing company which is EHS (Education Student Housing) is trying to work with me, but I can't even afford the monthly payment plan. I'm unemployed an don't have much experience because I'm 20.

Any advice or tips for my situation would be greatly appreciated.
          Have you tried applying for loans through FAFSA?

Have you tried to find work? A part time job in the area or on campus?
          Brian

Comment

The advice already given to apply for federal loans is excellent. If you are an undergraduate, and enrolled at least 6 credit hours per semester, you will qualify for a government Stafford loan. Good credit is not required.

Get to your financial aid office ASAP. Good luck.

Joshua

Comment

Working...
            X