Stocks with debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocks with debt?

My husband and I have a total of around $40k debt (credit card, car loans & student loans). I had purchased some stocks at the bottom of the market worth about $5500. We are paying off debt fairly aggressively now and I am wondering if we should cash this in or keep it.

Our interest rates for all our loans are all fairly low---we have only $1200 left on a credit card with the highest APR. Our other two cards are at 0%, one car is at 0%, second car is at 4% with $7500 left, student loan is at 1%. We have never missed a payment and I guess because of our low interest rates, I am wondering if it would make sense to sell the stocks and put the $5500 to debt. This would then leave us with only $1000 of an emergency fund for security! Our household income is around $75-80k if that helps any.

Loans at rates less than inflation (currently 3% to 4%) are like free money because you pay them back with devalued dollars. Paying such low-interest loans early actually costs you more in real dollar terms. If the $1200 card is at a rate higher than inflation, it might be worth selling just enough stock to pay off that one.

Comment

What is the purpose of the stock? Is it for retirement? If so, I wouldn't cash it out. If not, then I may take some profits and use it to pay off the cc.

You have a fairly high income. I bet you can pay off these debts without cashing in any of the stocks. Post up the rest of your budget so we can take a look and look for some ways for you to trim costs and increase cash flow.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by cherryblossom View Post
        This would then leave us with only $1000 of an emergency fund for security! Our household income is around $75-80k if that helps any.
        Are you saying that you presently consider the $5500 in stock as an emergency fund? Also, this represents holding of individual securities?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I did not get any email letting me know there were replies until just today! I really liked the post about inflation

We have decided to sell one of the cars in the spring and get a free car from my parents. The stocks serve as an emergency/retirement fund and so I have decided to leave them alone. They are now at $6200. We are hoping to be out of debt in 1.5-2 years depending as well on whether my husband goes back to school or not and/or gets a full-time job. Right now he only works part-time.

Comment

When do the 0% cards start charging interest and will you have them paid off before then?
            The easiest thing of all is to deceive one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be true.
            - Demosthenes

Comment

Working...
            X