Question about Dave Ramsey Debt Free Scream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Dave Ramsey Debt Free Scream

So one of my friends posted that her parents were going to be on the Dave Ramsey show doing their debt-free scream. She gave us a link and told us when to tune in. And I listened to them and their story and they paid off over $100k of debt in 4 years. Then Dave asked them what was in that number, and they said student loans, credit card debt, and I think car loans (they gave the amount for each and it added up to the whole number). Then they did the debt-free scream.

So I'm curious....does this mean they don't have a mortgage? (They actually live in our neighborhood and I know they own a home). Can you do the Dave Ramsey debt-free scream on his show if you still have a mortgage? Or is it screaming debt-free for things other than the mortgage? I guess I always assumed it meant all debt? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

When people talk about debt, they are usually talking about consumer debt (credit cards, car loans, etc.)

People claim (although I don't agree with it) that they are debt free except for their mortgage.

It's debt free with an asterisk.
    Brian

Comment

For the purposes of Dave Ramsey's show, debt-free can mean either counting or not counting the mortgage.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Thank you. I just wondered how that worked with Dave Ramsey since I know he's a big proponent of paying off the mortgage.

Comment

Dave allows both screams. Heck, I think you should be allowed to scream every time you pay off any debt. After all, you've probably already screamed at the telephone at least once while dealing with a credit card company.

Comment

It is a people completing Step 2 which is get out of debt except for the mortgage and maybe student loans. He does debt free Fridays which is pretty cool. Most people take about 1-2 years.

He did have a show over the summer where he had people that paid off their mortgage as well. on average those folks took 7 to 8 years

Comment

His debt-free scream is after you have paid off all credit cards, car loans, student loans, etc. It's true you don't have to have your mortgage paid off to do a debt-free scream on his show.

Comment

One can actually do a debt-free scream Monday-Thursday, but they only allow 1 per hour during those days as Fridays are their scream debt-free days. There is a trend that people are starting and that is driving to his studio (below Nashville,TN) to write on their "debt-free" wall and then screaming "I'm debt-free" from the lobby area on the radio show.

Comment

Working...
                X