Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking for lower interest rates...did it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breathemusic View Post
    Just be careful about the terms of any card offering a 0% balance. If you transfer the highest card to a new 0% card and then just concentrate on paying toward the other cards, once the intro period is over, there's a possibility the CC could back-charge you interest for those intro months.
    I don't believe that's true for balance transfers between CCs, and I've never heard of this happening. I know that those rules apply to some in store 0% offers.

Do you have any links to cards that charge back interest on balance transfers?

Until I see otherwise, I believe this is a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
      Your creditors may or may not work with you. Your best strategy would be to seek out a 0% card and transfer your debt to that. Then pay it off before the introductory rate ends.
      I agree, but it doesnt hurt to call them and question it. Sears once jumped mine and I called and was told it was an error and they lowered it. A few years later, I received a check from Sears because of a class action lawsuit had been filed against them for raising them too high and without proper notice and such. I think my check was for around $15.

I normally pay them off asap, but that was after our house fire and I had to replace some of the appliances and it took the insurance company a couple months to reimburse me.

Comment

To answer the original question, this worked for me once.

I called up and explained that things were a bit tight (not completely untrue at the time) and I was reworking my budget and was reaching out to all creditors to see if they had any programs or ways to help people like me make sure I was able to keep everyone current. I'd exaggerated my situation just a bit - I wasn't in danger of not being able to pay, but... it wasn't a fun situation to be in either.

IIRC, I was at around 14% interest, and I got a "sure, here's what I can do" just talking to the first agent. They basically agreed to reduce interest rate on current balance to 7% (or maybe it was 9%) for ... 6 months I think, then it would go back up to 14%, and the 14% would still be in force for any new purchases. Basically, it was just meant as just a bit of breathing room. It didn't help *much*, but I didn't need much help at that time either, so it worked out OK.

It felt more like a token gesture on their part, but was probably enough to keep me from even considering looking for other alternatives. I was young, and that placated me enough for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg7n16 View Post
          I don't believe that's true for balance transfers between CCs, and I've never heard of this happening. I know that those rules apply to some in store 0% offers.

Do you have any links to cards that charge back interest on balance transfers?

Until I see otherwise, I believe this is a myth.

I know it isn't true for all cards, but I know I've seen mention of it happening to people before somewhere. I only meant that they should be sure to check the individual card policies before deciding how much debt to transfer. If they won't back-charge the interest, awesome. But if they do, what's the point in transfering more than you can pay off in the limited intro period?

Comment

Also check for balance transfer fees! I'd live off the proverbial "beans-n-rice" and attack card #4 while paying minimums on the others. Can you sell anything to get a little more cash to work with? Any other financial belt-tightening?

I wish you the best, this is a tough battle!

Comment

Working...
            X