Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left country for four years, came back with 1,200 debt

Hi guys,

So here's my story. I left the US March 2007 and Just came back last month. I got my credit report from wells fargo identity theft protection and i found out that I have debt for 1,066 to ballys total fitness and 144 to washington mutual.

On the credit report it says for collection or charge off.

Could you guys provide me with any advice?

Since 2007 i never stepped foot in ballys total fitness, do you think they could cut me some slack?

I know it was irresponsible for me when I left but my father said he would get my uncle to use my membership at ballys but i guess he never did. and i didnt know i owed washington mutual anything.

Great site by the way, hope you guys could give me something i'd love to hear :-)

It sounds like you never canceled your membership, Ballys kept charging you, no one paid, and then they eventually charged off the account and possibly sold it to a collection agency. The first thing you'll want to determine is if Ballys has actually sold the debt or just transferred it for collection. Have you received any correspondance from a collection agency regarding the debt?
    Rock climber, ultrarunner, and credit expert at Creditnet.com

Comment

I have no idea. I agree with what the previous poster said. They might have simply sold the debt to a collection agency. I thought people were still held responsible if they failed to close an account on time. Perhaps they would make an exception. I would most certainly call them as soon as possible.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. I guess ballys sold the debt. on my credit report it says asset acceptance llc. i just found out it was ballys because i called the identity theft protection service hotline.

do you guys really think it would be a good idea to call? for sure they want their money right... just sucks cause i dont believe i should pay for what i didnt use.

just scared that they will keep pressuring me to pay once they hear from me. thats why im posting here first to somewhat prep myself b4 calling.

So yeah, when i call them, should i tell them the truth that i left for four year? or would i be better off saying something else?

Comment

You signed a contract with Bally's fitness. You failed to cancel it when you left the country. This is not their fault, it is yours. Regardless of what you believe, you are still legally liable despite not using it. You're just going to have to swallow this one. Pay it off and chalk it up to a learning experience about irresponsibility and don't let it happen again. If you try to squirm out of it, it will likely just make things worse. And yes, tell them the truth. What is the point in lying about it? But don't expect them to cut you a break. They've heard a million sob stories. They don't care. They just want their money.

Comment

Originally posted by SURESLIP View Post
            thanks for the replies guys. I guess ballys sold the debt. on my credit report it says asset acceptance llc. i just found out it was ballys because i called the identity theft protection service hotline.

do you guys really think it would be a good idea to call? for sure they want their money right... just sucks cause i dont believe i should pay for what i didnt use.

just scared that they will keep pressuring me to pay once they hear from me. thats why im posting here first to somewhat prep myself b4 calling.

So yeah, when i call them, should i tell them the truth that i left for four year? or would i be better off saying something else?
            You signed a contract, so you're on the hook for the debt wether you used the membership or not. Now, if the debt really has been sold by Bally's, then you're going to need to deal directly with the collection agency (CA) regarding payment. Have you received any communication from Asset Acceptance?
            Rock climber, ultrarunner, and credit expert at Creditnet.com

Comment

Well, I'm sure over 90% of people who sign up for fitness clubs never use it more than a couple times then drop off. You signed a contract, the club was available for your use - whether you used it or not is nothing to them. It was available to you (as far as they are concerned) - you leaving the country is nothing to do with them. Sorry, but I think you should live up to your word. I'm pretty sure from reading your posts that you don't intend to pay anyways, so I'm not sure what to advise? Yes, your credit takes a hit when there are charge-offs on your account.

Comment

Honestly, I think that you are responsible for the debt from ballys. It was a signed contract and they have every right to hold you liable for the charges. I know that's kinda harsh, but that is just how I see it.

Comment

thanks for all your replies, yeah i was already thinking that i had to pay it. ill contact those collection agencies when i start working. thanks again guys.

Comment

I might be moving overseas to teach so this is a firm reminder to cancel everything I won't be using.

Comment

Yes, Marto you are correct, this is a good reminder to people who are moving to a new location. Unfortunately, this happened to me when I moved to a distant city in connection with my job; I missed to pay an account and my total debt went 20x more because of interests and penalties.

Comment

Working...
                      X