Avoiding Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpg7n16 View Post
    They don't charge you interest on your payment, they charge on your whole balance.
    Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
    The OP sounds like he/she is asking about the statement balance (for the previous month) versus the current balance.

As long as they have been current each month, the statement balance is all that is needed to pay, no interest has been charged on the additional purchases.

HOWEVER, if they have only payed the minimum and a balance has carried over, then yes you are correct and interest is being charged on more than just the statement balance.
    greenskeeper is correct. If you have no outstanding balance, you will not pay interest if you pay the statement balance in full every month. It is not necessary to pay charges posted after the statement date.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

There should be an "amount due" posted on the statement that should be easy to seperate from the total acount balance. I honestly do think banks make this mildly confusing to get people to send in a little extra before it's really due.
      "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg7n16 View Post
        Because of the two of them, whichever is bigger is the one that describes how much debt you actually have out there.

They don't charge you interest on your payment, they charge on your whole balance.

Either way, the more you pay, the faster the debt goes away, so when in doubt between two balances owed shown on the statement - just pay the larger balance.
        Incorrect.

They do not charge you interest on charges made after the closing date as long as you pay them when they come on the next statement, of course. We aren't talking about "minimum payments," of course. It's pretty clear what a "minimum payment" is.

For example: Lets say I charged $500 from the 16th of May to the 15th of June. The cc company waits a few days to make sure everything gets recorded and then sends me my bill on the 20th or so. My bill has a statement balance of $500. But if I charged $100 on the 16th, my total balance will be $600. I do NOT have to pay $600, I only have to pay $500. The $100 I charged on the 16th will show up on July's statement and it will NOT be charged interest.

There is NO reason to pay an extra $100 30 days before it is due. That money stays in your account earning about 8 cents of interest. You pay it in July when they ask for it.

I have been paying statement balances for 17 years and never paid a penny in interest. There is no good reason to pay money before you have to when it could be doing something else more useful elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBadger View Post
          Incorrect.

They do not charge you interest on charges made after the closing date as long as you pay them when they come on the next statement, of course. We aren't talking about "minimum payments," of course. It's pretty clear what a "minimum payment" is.

For example: Lets say I charged $500 from the 16th of May to the 15th of June. The cc company waits a few days to make sure everything gets recorded and then sends me my bill on the 20th or so. My bill has a statement balance of $500. But if I charged $100 on the 16th, my total balance will be $600. I do NOT have to pay $600, I only have to pay $500. The $100 I charged on the 16th will show up on July's statement and it will NOT be charged interest.

There is NO reason to pay an extra $100 30 days before it is due. That money stays in your account earning about 8 cents of interest. You pay it in July when they ask for it.

I have been paying statement balances for 17 years and never paid a penny in interest. There is no good reason to pay money before you have to when it could be doing something else more useful elsewhere.
          Well said Badger. Pay the statement balance in full and on time every month and you'll never pay a cent in interest.
          Rock climber, ultrarunner, and credit expert at Creditnet.com

Comment

Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
            are you thinking of "minimum payment"?

The OP sounds like he/she is asking about the statement balance (for the previous month) versus the current balance.
            Yes I was. I misunderstood the question. Oops!
            Last edited by jpg7n16; 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shanecurran View Post
              I have a capitalone card. I ran a balance for several months and then I paid it off in full last month (statement balance). I was charged for interest on the next bill. I called capitalone and they credited back the interest charge. It is the second time this mistake has been made by capitalone, makes me wonder if they do it on purpose ho9ping the customer wont notice or is ignorant to their policies.
              My first post ever. Hi!

This caught my eye, and in fact is the reason I registered on this site (just discovered it tonight and was browsing...). Every time I've EVER paid off a credit card I get a statement the following month with trailing interest. I've called about it before and have been told that there is a lag, and indeed, the interest is due. This has happened with Chase, WaMu, B of A....am I missing something????

Comment

check out nerdwallet - it is actually kind of fun to play with
                I YQ YQ R

Comment

Originally posted by chrissy47454 View Post
                  My first post ever. Hi!

This caught my eye, and in fact is the reason I registered on this site (just discovered it tonight and was browsing...). Every time I've EVER paid off a credit card I get a statement the following month with trailing interest. I've called about it before and have been told that there is a lag, and indeed, the interest is due. This has happened with Chase, WaMu, B of A....am I missing something????
                  This issue only arises for cardholders that carry balances, so be sure to always pay your credit cards in full each month and you won't have to deal with this. Anyway, residual or "trailing" interest is what credit issuers charge between when your statement is issued and when you actually pay your bill. If you want a true payoff amount, you'll need to call them and find out exactly how much it will cost to pay off your balance on the date you expect payment to go through. If you just pay the amount due shown on your statement, chances are you're going to get hit with some residual interest.
                  Rock climber, ultrarunner, and credit expert at Creditnet.com

Comment

Working...
                  X