Debt Collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt Collector

I just got a letter and a phone call from a debt collector.
    The debt in question is regarding a towing company... Last year my car got stolen and apparently some parts were taken. I never saw the car so I have no idea the condition it was left in. I never bothered to get the car.

Collection Agency says I owe $1200. I have requested by phone (I plan on sending a certified letter on Tues) a copy of the 1200 fee breakdown and either an invoice of the sale of the car or the location as to where to pick it up (I dont plan on getting the car ... more of a bluff into what they got for the car).

Any words of advice on how to play this?

In your letter, include a statement along the lines of saying that all further communication must be ceased until verifiable evidence of the debt is provided to you in writing. This requires them (by law) to either comply, or you can lodge complains about them with your local attorney general's office.

Keep a copy of everything you send and receive, and keep notes on the name, time/date, and substance of any/all communication you have with them (whether by phone, in person, or by mail).
    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Keep a very detailed paper trail!!

Comment

My parents went thru something similar. They mentioned it to the cop who took the report, who told them to contact their auto insurance co.

Long story short--the tow company was not honest. The insurance company had paid for the tow (van was stolen from a parking lot, left abandoned and stripped in a street--tow company towed it off, then the pd found it in the impound lot).

I say, ask your insurance company--that is providing it was insured.... Their's was double billing--once to insurance, then to my parents.

Comment

I'm assuming that you had insurance on the car, so your policy should have covered any fees being that your car was stolen. I would contact your insurance company and have them get to the bottom of it for you.
          Brian

Comment

The only coverage I had on it was Liability. It was my beater car.

Comment

Working...
            X