No announcement yet.

USPS fwd tax refund checks?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    USPS fwd tax refund checks?

    I have to file taxes via paper this time (for some reason & ITIN filing).
    I am also moving end of May and will file an the usual USPS mail forwarding service with the post office.

    Will that take care of forwarding IRS tax return checks? to my new address? If not, what are the options. (e-filing is not an option).

    Ah even in paper filing, I suppose there is the option of direct deposit. Just struck me as I was typing...

    Hi Lindsey, this is from the irs website.

    Topic 157 - Change of Address – How to Notify IRS
    If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refund or correspondence. There are several ways to notify the IRS of an address change. If you change your address before filing your return, you may correct the address legibly on the mailing label from your tax package or write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your return when you file. When your return is processed, we will update your records.

    If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check. To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822 (PDF), Change of Address, and send it to the address shown on the form. You may download Form 8822 from the IRS website or order it by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

    You may also write to inform us of your address change. If you write, we need your full name, old and new addresses, and your Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and your signature. If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. Send your written address change information to the campus where you filed your last return. The campus addresses are listed in the instructions to the tax forms.


      Worst case scenario is that the check goes to your old address but the post office won't deliver the refund check if your name is no longer associated with the address; the check will go back and if the 'system' notices that there is a new address, a new check will be automatically issued. You can call the IRS and make a change of address
      I YQ YQ R