Shady (illegal?) debt collection practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shady (illegal?) debt collection practices

My parents must be in some kind of debt. I am not 100% what the debt is, not do I care, but I spoke to them about it and they said they reached a deal with a debt consolidation agency. But another debt collection agency has been calling and harassing them. (NCO if anyone is familiar with them). My parents were advised not to speak to NCO regarding the debt consolidation. As a result of never answering their call, NCO has started calling my cell, my work, my wife's cell, my in-law's home, my brother-in-law's cell, my aunts/uncles/grandparents homes, and my parents neighbors outright telling these people that my parents have a debt they are trying to collect knowing full well these are not my parents' contact numbers. It is embarrassing for everyone.

I spoke to the collector (scumbag, btw) and he said this is a perfect legal practice. They have a team of 'investigators' that just give him random numbers to call that they dig up that may or may not be associated with the debtor. HOW IS THIS NOT ILLEGAL???

Who can I get in touch with to complain about this? Are there agencies or places that can fight this harassment? They call several times a day up until 9pm. I tell them that this is not my parent's contact number and the same man keeps calling and won't stop. It is just completely ridiculous at this point. It is starting to put a strain on my marriage (wife and parents don't see eye to eye as is) and I feel completely helpless. What can I do? What options do I have?

I believe this should have everything you need:

FTC Office of the Secretary - Fair Credit Reporting Act Links

Debt Collection FAQs: A Guide for Consumers

Dealing with Debt Collection - Money Matters from the Federal Trade Commission

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ (Click the FTC Complaint Assist button to start the process of filing a complaint with the FTC)

Comment

What he is doing is blatantly illegal. By law if you ask him to stop calling you about this issue, he has to. Definitely read up on the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know your rights. Next time he calls get his name and his company name and then tell him you have asked him to stop calling on numerous occasions and he is breaking the law and you will report him. Then do it.

Comment

I've done all that except actually report him. Because I didn't know who to contact about it.

I have the debt collector's personal info as well. His home address and phone number as well as his daughter's apt address, phone number, and her work phone number. I was thinking of calling his house at 8:55pm every night to discuss the matter. It is amazing what a simple 5 minute search on Google will reveal. Open social networking profiles FTW.

Comment

Don't call him; thats just plain vindictive. I would definitely report him though. He is in clear violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and his firm could be sued. He should lose his job and your parents in most situations would be forgiven for any debt that is up for collections.

Do not quote me on the forgiveness of the debt, thats just what I have heard can happen in these situations.
          Check out my new website at www.payczech.com !

Comment

Originally posted by pikey412 View Post
            I've done all that except actually report him. Because I didn't know who to contact about it.

I have the debt collector's personal info as well. His home address and phone number as well as his daughter's apt address, phone number, and her work phone number. I was thinking of calling his house at 8:55pm every night to discuss the matter. It is amazing what a simple 5 minute search on Google will reveal. Open social networking profiles FTW.
            If you do that, what will be the difference between them and you? Why you wanna drag their family members in this? I would definitely report and might sue as well.

Comment

You could report it. Or you could block their number. What they are doing doesn't sound legal to me.
              Brian

Comment

Seriously doesn't surprise me. They are the scum of the earth.

Comment

Working...
                X