No announcement yet.

Debt Repayment/Savings Priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, after my car, I think I'll work on the 401K loan (which is getting paid at $50 a week directly from my paycheck currently) then my student loans. I'll also continue to work up to a one month EF while I pay down my debt. Another plus, I'm in-line for a promotion, but I'm not counting on it though. But I'll stay at my current expenses level when/if I get the promotion and put the increase in income towards my goals.

Comment

Sounds like you have a plan you can stick with. That's good. You'll get your 1 month expenses in no time. Though I really hope that when you get to paying on your SLs, you'll focus in on the most expensive ones first.

Good luck with your promotion! That'd be fantastic for you

Comment

Originally posted by jpg7n16 View Post
        Maybe because you keep the most expensive debt around the longest and ignored all the OPs concerns about the debt?

Yeah, I don't change my philosophies when I don't think their way is best. I'm consistent in my beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg7n16 View Post
          Maybe because you keep the most expensive debt around the longest and ignored all the OPs concerns about the debt?

Were you listening to the OP at all, or just looking at the balances?
          Your really good at insulting people, I totally read his original post and understood what he wanted!
          Last edited by littleroc02us; 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by littleroc02us View Post
            Your really good at insulting people, I totally read his original post and understood what he wanted!
            BTW, I'm a "she"

Comment

Originally posted by raebies View Post
              BTW, I'm a "she"
              haha I've suggested a way to see if they could let us post if we're male or female, it would make life easier at times! I had to fumble around my post and keep using 'the OP' cause I didn't want to insult you hah

And littleroc and I just don't get along - we have very different ideas about what it means to be intelligent with your finances. Nothing against you Rae I really do wish you the best, and hope whichever plan you use gets you where you want to be. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by littleroc02us View Post
                Yeah I disagree with this, but just like the other post about which debt to pay where your math was off by 1 month (just to make your side of the argument look better) - I don't feel it's worth arguing with you over. There's nothing I can say that will make you change your mind, and it wasn't material to the discussion, so I don't think it's worth my time to try.

So I know you'll keep posting low balance to high. I'll just keep posting options that would let them get out of debt faster and save $100's to $1,000's of interest over your plan.

Comment

Use that 400 towards 6.8% student loan. Then car loan, then 40k loan.

Don’t think about mortgage towards down payment before you are debt free. Don’t think about making your house work for you.

If you could sleep better with 1 month of EF. Contribute that 400 towards building 1 month worth of EF before applying it towards student loan.

For sure there is a balance between saving and paying off debt, but it will take longer to get rid of your debt if you wanna bump up your savings. Its your decision. You need to decide priorities.

Stop considering getting a different car within a year or two if your current car is running fine.

Comment

I think that you should way up your options and assess what is most important to you - i think that if you can consolidate your debt or an IVA then you should maybe consider those options as it will allow you to see what you have left and maybe use that money to put into savings.

Comment

Working...
                    X